• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker/noslip for the d30?

perez

NAXJA Forum User
i am kinda scared to throw some sort of no slip on my d30. seeing how weak they are now, dont wana put anymore stress then there already is open. jsut seeing if anyone else has locked theirs and how it hold up. thanks

perez said:
i am kinda scared to throw some sort of no slip on my d30. seeing how weak they are now, dont wana put anymore stress then there already is open. jsut seeing if anyone else has locked theirs and how it hold up. thanks
?? What are you talking about? "seeing how weak they are now" A lot of people have locked 30's and they work fine. I've had a no slip in my D30 and haven't had too many problems (ok, two of my caps walked on ujoints but that was easily fixed with welded caps at first and then with ox ujoints).

Anyways if you have 260 ujoints, upgrade to 297/760's and wheel it (but carry a spare set of shafts just in case).

perez said:

The dana 30 is an engineering marvel. It's small and looks weak, but the thing will take a beating and come back asking for more - much like the toyota 22r. Get yourself some spicer 760 ujoints, do the locker, and don't look back.

perez said:

You sure you're talking about the right axle? The D35 in the rear is marginal but the D30 up front will take a beating.

Grizzley

i run a no-slip up front and it is ok. you can't run too big of a tire and stand on the skinny pedal all the time, but i have seen guys break lockers in d-60's because of too much horsepower applied(v-8) with skinny pedal also, so anything is possible(good and bad) you have to figure out the rigs limitations.

A little more info would be good. What D30, Disco or non disco and what size tires are you running. Like everyone else said 760 u joints are a must and if you are planning on 35's then put alloy axles in. I run an aussie in my 30 with 760's and warn shafts on 35's with no problems.

I run a 30 with a detroit, 760 joints and warn shaftsand 35's. The weakest link for me is the ball joints and knuckles, I have replaced both sides numerous times. I have also twisted the warn shafts. I recommend the super 30 kit if you are sticking with the 30 up front.

Roostertail said:
I run a 30 with a detroit, 760 joints and warn shaftsand 35's. The weakest link for me is the ball joints and knuckles, I have replaced both sides numerous times. I have also twisted the warn shafts. I recommend the super 30 kit if you are sticking with the 30 up front.

You must beat the piss out of that rig..

one of my friends is running a ARB in a D30 and I have a Detroit Tru-Trac in mine and we have had no problens with eather one. We both are running 33's and he is geared 4.10 and I am geared 4.56
O

I have D30, Detroit gearless, 3.55's and stock 297's, was running 33x13.50 LTB's no problems at all...

Just bumped up to 35x12.50 BFG's and their actually lighter and the tire spins more freely....also no problems....Im still in the process of buying chromo's and 760's for good measures though...

I've been running an ARB with 4/11's and 33's for about 7yrs. w/no problems at all...the 30 is a very under-rated axle...I've seen CJ's with Detroits and 40's strapped to a high pinion 30 before (on the trail)...You shouldn't worry too much about the 30 as it is tried and true...
-Terd

XJ99 said:
I have D30, Detroit gearless, 3.55's and stock 297's, was running 33x13.50 LTB's no problems at all...

Just bumped up to 35x12.50 BFG's and their actually lighter and the tire spins more freely....also no problems....Im still in the process of buying chromo's and 760's for good measures though...

3.55 gears and 35's..

That's gotta suck on the highway.

cal said:
3.55 gears and 35's..

That's gotta suck on the highway.

Not really I can go as fast as the speed limit and thats all I need....It's a bit sluggish on huge hills, but I have an auto and can drop It from D to 3rd and It does the trick til Im over....
I plan to retire the XJ from dailydriver duties within the year so I'll wait til I have axles under It that are worth gearing and can handle 37's and up....Until then I can't Justify spending $800-1000 for a "pointless" mod for my set-up and in my eyes....

of course my 99 came with 297 joints so i didn't have to up grade em, but 2 yrs on mine with a Lock-right (1 yr running stock gears and 33s and this 2nd year running 4.88s and 35s) and its had the pee beat out of it and no breaks

Back