• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New factory LSD worth putting in?

mjd99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure this has been covered but im curious about the $ difference here- I bought a brand new track-loc for about 200 beans and havent even opened the box yet, too much work not enough time to play. My question is knowing that its not all that aggressive should i try to sell it and pick up a auto locker or something else? Also are they better (more aggressive when brand new?)What would a BN factory track-loc be worth on ebay or a board? Ive read many posts about how well they work and how well the lock rites work so im not sure if i should dump it and buy somethin else. 99classic BB, intake& exhuast, weekend wheeling, not too crazy trails (waiting for a little more lift and tires,) and she is my only DD
any help would be appreciated!
Mike

mjd99xj said:
Im sure this has been covered but im curious about the $ difference here- I bought a brand new track-loc for about 200 beans and havent even opened the box yet, too much work not enough time to play. My question is knowing that its not all that aggressive should i try to sell it and pick up a auto locker or something else? Also are they better (more aggressive when brand new?)What would a BN factory track-loc be worth on ebay or a board? Ive read many posts about how well they work and how well the lock rites work so im not sure if i should dump it and buy somethin else. 99classic BB, intake& exhuast, weekend wheeling, not too crazy trails (waiting for a little more lift and tires,) and she is my only DD
any help would be appreciated!
Mike
200? Yikes. I think that if I was you I would have thrown in a few more $ and went with one of the lunch box lockers. Btw, what rear end? D35? or 8.25?

8.25. I thought it was a decent deal, looked in quadratec and it was way more (its the whole assy.) Think i could re-sell it for what i have into it? I was thinking that a new set of clutches would be pretty good for the type of wheeling i do, also i was planning on a selectable loker in the front eventually. (dont want to start a "should i lock the front or rear first" thing. Think i wasted $ Kejtar?

Well...... you'll have to make that decision on your own.

Given you're in Central NY, my opinion is to stick with a l/s in a DD rather than a locker. But for an 8.25, I'd go with an Auburn Gear l/s instead.

There's really nothing wrong with a TrakLok, they just don't hook up too well in an 8.25 or a D35.

Yup, more aggressive clutches.

It depends on how you wheel.
Trac loc is fine for a daily driver with mild to mid level wheeling in dirt mud and mild rocks.
I would have said get some other lsd but you already have this unit and the locker in my daily driver got annoying, lots of people here have lockers and love them, just wasn’t for me.

Also..You can change the clutch/plate order to dramatically improve it's bite... This is what I did and I’m very happy with the results can't remember how it's done but I recall it was simple...just needed to flip one steel and one friction disk. Just do a search it’s been covered here.

Having trouble finding a post on how to tweak the clutch pack, searched tons of threads and found the same "stuff some more plates in it" which sounds odd to me.If someone has a link on how exactly to do it that would be great, i got sick of looking after an hour. Since i have it out and un opened should i just put a lock rite in it? what will work in a factory lsd carrier?

I paid less than half of that for a QuickLok, spend your money elsewhere. I don't think any locker (besides the beloved Lincoln, of course) works with a LSD-carrier.

I put a rebuilt factory LSD in my son's 2001 XJ and It's great on the street
and does fine 4wheeling. I have a Alburn in my 91 XJ and it's more agressive then the stock unit and still is good on the street. The "lunch box" lockers
make a clicking sound when you turn a corner, and if you hit the gas in a corner, they will lock up. Unless you are doing "hardcore" stuff, you will be fine with the factory unit.
O

Hey bigo, I just bought a Auburn Gear LSD for my 94 XJ with the 8.25" rear. Any tips from your experience with the installation? Will Redline 75w90 gear oil be ok to use?

gradon said:
Hey bigo, I just bought a Auburn Gear LSD for my 94 XJ with the 8.25" rear. Any tips from your experience with the installation? Will Redline 75w90 gear oil be ok to use?
Download the instructions from Alburn. There is a spot on the right side of the case that you need to grind back to get it to clear. I used a 4" grinder and stuffed rags in all the holes to keep the grit out of the bearing aeras. Clean it out real good before puting it together. Don't cross thread the adjusting nuts. Set the backlash at .010 using a dial indicator. Be SURE and put the limited slip additive in the gear lube. If you don't, it will distroy the clutches. You can get it at NAPA.
BigO

Back