• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke BOTH upper shackle bolts. PROCEDURE

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Pictures will follow when I'm finished.

HAD INCHITIS and knew it would cause me grief... Adding RE shackes and 1.75 spacers in the front for a little more clearance for my new 33's on my RE6030 I installed a couple years ago.

Broke off both upper bolts. Of course they use the weld nut inside the unibody. HOWEVER, when your bed has rotted away right above the unibody on both sides and you have aluminum sheet screwed and RTV'd in place to keep out water and splash, it makes access to that nut pretty easy. Cut off the stub I had flush (yes, I tried some heat, PB and the vice grip thing) Used a mongo punch to pop the weld nut loose and pulled it out through the top of the unibody. New bolt, new nut, I'm cooking. EASY when you have access from above. Not even going to bother trying to work out the bolt on the other side. Going to cut em with the recip saw, pop the nut on that side too and do it up right.

BY THE WAY for all NEWB's and anoyone who has never pulled the shackles, if you have longer or special bumper mount bolts they will need to be cut short so the shackle has proper play.

Once I post the pics, you'll see how easy the access is from above. Sure beats dropping the gas tank and cutting and welding. At least on older Northern XJ's where the back of the bed is probably rotten anyway!

OK... as you can see the nut fits in pretty well. The 21mm socket is a snug fit and it takes some wiggling of the shackle to get it in and around the nut. This picture is of the nut before tightening. The nut disappears into the hole once snug. You can see how bad my floor rot is in the back.

100_2043.gif

Back