• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Installed A Grant Steering Wheel ?

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm trying to get the horn assembly working for my Grant "Classic" series woodrim-style steering wheel. It's going onto my 93' 2-door Sport, and despite reading all the instructions, trying different mounting combinations etc... I just can't figure it out. I've tried ctc'ing Grant, but no reply so far.

FWIW, it's the right adapter kit (part # 3196) and everyting else is very simple to install - everything but the horn. I know that it works b/c there is a small shaft that exits @ about 11' o'clock on the adaptor plate, and when I touch it with a metal object (like say, pliers) it'll make the usual horn sound.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Quarterwave

Can you install an aftermarket steering wheel on airbag equipped steering wheels? Like remove the airbag?

After assembling the steering wheel according to the directions and ending up with it clocked about 15 degrees off center. I had to drill the plate so that the plastic column/shaft/tube that holds the horn wire would fit through their plate at the correct placement.

Sorry, no photos. I pulled the assembly to repair an ignition problem and damaged the plastic horn ring.

No - I just went out and bought a new adaptor kit which has the new horn ring and wire supplied with it. FWIW, this is for a NON airbag equipped XJ.

XJjosh said:
Can you install an aftermarket steering wheel on airbag equipped steering wheels? Like remove the airbag?

yes you can, but its not legal in most places. any state that has vehicle inspections will fail you for it. i know the 1996 honda accord (which has an airbag) will accept a steering wheel adaptor specified for an earlier year.
there's a reason they don't offer adaptors for vehicles with airbags. i bet an insurance company's claims ajuster would love to see a wrecked vehicle that didn't have an airbag steering wheel when it was supposed to. something tells me they wouldn't pay out as much as if the vehicle still had the airbag in it.

like others said, trim rings are avaliable, they stick on with the thin 3m tape, which they come with. they can get slippery though.

You've read all this.............

I am using kit number 3196 and can't find the plastic sleeve referred to in the instructions, is it missing from my kit?

No. We do not provide this part in the kit; the plastic sleeve is an existing component on all the vehicles where kit 3196 is used. If you do not have this part, you will need to go to a wrecking yard or to a GM dealer and purchase this inexpensive part.

I have a jeep using kit number 3196 and I don't have a wire coming out of my horn contact housing, but a metal connector. How do I get the grant wire connected?

You will need to pull this metal plunger out of the plastic tube and replace it with the wire provided in our kit. Simply grab the plunger and pull straight out. Re-use the plastic snap sleeve that will come out with plunger to hold our wire in housing just as before.

http://www.grantproducts.com/install/images/975240001.gif

http://www.grantproducts.com/install/images/FORM5.gif

What problem are you having?

dynamite44 said:
yes you can, but its not legal in most places. any state that has vehicle inspections will fail you for it. i know the 1996 honda accord (which has an airbag) will accept a steering wheel adaptor specified for an earlier year.
there's a reason they don't offer adaptors for vehicles with airbags. i bet an insurance company's claims ajuster would love to see a wrecked vehicle that didn't have an airbag steering wheel when it was supposed to. something tells me they wouldn't pay out as much as if the vehicle still had the airbag in it.

like others said, trim rings are avaliable, they stick on with the thin 3m tape, which they come with. they can get slippery though.
I installed a grant wheel on my 96... I just never set up the horn. No biggy, I just wired some air horns to a button on the dash and passed inspection for another year. The guys at the shop seemed to love the jeep, and after all the repairs, they know me really well.

Thanks for the tips Lou, but the wheels in those diagrams are for a different series of Grant wheel. My installation boss-kit did also come with an additional "supplemental" instruction leaflet, but the diagram on it is hard to decipher b/c the drawing is unclear and their written steps for installation are very vague.

Bearing in mind, the actual putting and securing the wheel is a 10 minute exercise, it's just that I don't know where the horn plate/ring goes during the assembly process and again, the instructions don't say. Eg ; is it right after the adapter plate, or before it ? Do I need to cut any wires ? How can I attach the "bell end' of the wire that comes with the kit - with soldering iron, or is it a bolt in replacement ? etc... Which is why I was asking if someone had experience in doing a complete install of such a style of wheel.

Re the other post, I can't get the purchase on the stalk to just rip it ouit - plus, it doesn't sound right to me that I'd have to just rip something out of the steering column....

Finally, I did go out and buy a separate horn button but I couldn't locate the wires in my steering column, b/c i couldn't see how to get any of the housings off the steering column itself....

The problem I have is that I need the horn to work so that i can use the Jeep to sit for my driving test. FWIW, I'm 30 and have been driving in a bunch of countries for about 12 years, but I need to get my licence here in Florida, and yep, I need to do a driving test in a vehicle that has a working horn.

Anyone else have any instructions ?

If so, thanks in advance.

It's been a few years since I installed my Challenger style, so, here goes...(my bad memory)

-remove small aluminum pin(1/6") from exist horn hole at 11' (I'm not at all sure about this but I have a leftover aluminum pin :double_shrug: )
-the wire they supply has a connector that plugs into what is in that hole.
-that wire then feeds up as is shown in the pic below.

P1010008_sml.jpg

Getting the horn button onto the contactor disc is lotsa fun with the Challenger style don't know about the Classic.

Last edited:
"Can you install an aftermarket steering wheel on airbag equipped steering wheels? Like remove the airbag?"

On 95/96 XJ with mechanical airbags you can.

Last edited:
I GOT IT ! Thank you all for your interest in helping me fix his problem. I ended up just taking it all apart, and as per your prev. post Lou, I pulled out that small shaft and put the bell-end wire into it, pulled the wire through all the pre-drilled holes in the adapter plate etc... plugged it into the centre prong on the horn assembly and it works just like it used to.

Lou, thanks especially. for taking the time, you're a gem.

Quarterwave

Back