• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pitman arm/center link separation???

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
im in the process of adding a tomken 2" boost and 31" tires. im having trouble separating the steering center link(i think thats what its called) from the pitman arm. got the cotter pin and the nut off but cant get the bolt to back through the bottom of the pitman arm.

i may be missing something here as i dont have much experience with suspension/steering systems. anyone have any insight on this so i can get these front coil spacers in so i can drive to work tomorrow?

oh yeah, '95, 4.0, 2wd, aw4, 8.25 rear, if that helps.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
my haynes manual says i need to drop the axle to get the front coils out and that is one of the steps in that process. please help, im stuck.

i was following the directions tomken supplied with the kit but got stuck when i tried to get the coils out. couldnt get a spring compressor inside the coils. and almost hurt myself pretty bad tring to half ass the compressor outside the coil.

what am i missing here???

You might try undoing the sway bar from the axle, that should give you plenty of play, jack under the axle, then use high lift to raise the vehicle.

ive got the sway disconnected on both sides. as well as the shocks and the coil spring retainers. ive got it up on jack stands behind the lower control arm mounts. ive also got the lower control arms disconnected at the axle.

are you saying i should try to jack up one side of the axle and that should drop the other side enough to pull out the coil and still have enough room to get it back in with the reduced clearance resulting from the 2" coil spacer?

Or use a highlift jack and raise the vehicle one side at a time. Be careful..
But I would rather do it that way, than use the compressors..

Back