• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB installed: What is holding (R) axle up? S-Bar/Shocks?

MyJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my 2" Tereflex BB1X BB about 2 weeks ago now and I havent had time to install my shocks yet (Im still not sure if there long enough, until I pull the old ones to compare).

Anyway, when we were putting the shackles in the rear, we had to PULL DOWN on the rear of the leaf spring to get them in the shackle. This was weird, the body was on jack stands, both tires off, I thought the axle should have dropped! But, it didnt!

I was wondering if the sway bar could have been keeping the axle up? I havent removed it yet, but am toying with the idea (keeping the front for sure, this is my DD, Ill fab some homebrew quick discos later).

Or is it more possible that the shocks were fully extended and thus not allow the axle to drop any further?

I couldnt for the life of me see how the sway bar could be the culprit, but I gotta ask because I know theres more experienced people on this topic than I.

Thanks for any help, insight or suggestions..
Andrew

quite possible it was both holding up the axle. Did you have both shackles dissconnected at the same time? You can take out your rear sway bar with no ill effects. Most shocks for a BB are usually sized 'from 0-2" lift". If you have them connected now that the BB is on, the only thing they will do is act as the limiting part.

GirlScout1 said:
Did you have both shackles dissconnected at the same time?
Yes I did, thats how I was able to validate it was being held up! Ill remove the sway bar and try to get my shox on as soon as the weather breaks. I bought some Gabrial LT shox at $16 each, I hope there long enough, we looked though the book (Me and the guy at Advance Auto who was very helpful) before I bought them, and he said if they are not right bring them back and we can swap out.

Ill probly use the sway bar mount for a BPE since these shox are bushing only, theres no bar pin in them. Plus will give me about 1" of extra shock drop.

Ill let you know how it turns out!

Thanx!
Andrew

It's the shocks limiting the droop.

Throw away the rear swaybar. My 99 XJ with Up Country came from the factory without a rear sway bar. It does very little, if anything.

FrankNBrew said:
It's the shocks limiting the droop.

Throw away the rear swaybar. My 99 XJ with Up Country came from the factory without a rear sway bar. It does very little, if anything.

Thanx for your input too, FrankNBrew! Hey, your avatar is small, as avatars are, could you post a bigger picture here of it, it looks awesome! And a few specs on lift/tires?

Thanks again, everyone!
Andrew

if the shocks you got won't work for you, you can allways use YJ shocks in the front and ZJ shocks in the rear. you'll have to transfer the bar pins from your old shocks, but that's it.

the YJ shocks are something like 2 inches longer in the front and the ZJ rear shocks are about the same. they're explained in rocklizardfab's budget boost writeup.

dynamite44 said:
if the shocks you got won't work for you, you can allways use YJ shocks in the front and ZJ shocks in the rear. you'll have to transfer the bar pins from your old shocks, but that's it.

the YJ shocks are something like 2 inches longer in the front and the ZJ rear shocks are about the same. they're explained in rocklizardfab's budget boost writeup.

Actually, I have updated the shock info on my article, so check it out for better options to the YJ front ZJ rear thing: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

GottaBeJeep said:
Actually, I have updated the shock info on my article, so check it out for better options to the YJ front ZJ rear thing: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

I have the Monroe Gast Matic LT Truck equivelent shocks to the Sensa Trac, about $17 each front and $22 each rear. Ill be putting them on in the next day or two and will post back results and part numbers.

Wish me luck!
Andrew

Damnit, my luck... Been waiting all week for my days off, today and tomorrow, and wouldnt u know.... Its 38deg with 20mph ghust. Too damn cold to work on the Jeep, so I hope my next 2 days off will be better. Ill post up when Im finished.

Cheers,
Andrew

MyJeepXJ said:
Thanx for your input too, FrankNBrew! Hey, your avatar is small, as avatars are, could you post a bigger picture here of it, it looks awesome! And a few specs on lift/tires?

Thanks again, everyone!
Andrew

MyJeepXJ - will there be any issues for the front shocks which is 3" longer even if the lift is only 2"? does it means that the shocks will always have the 1" compressed? resulting to shorten the lifespan of the 3" longer shocks? ... i have a 2001 xj sport.

ny_busboy said:
MyJeepXJ - will there be any issues for the front shocks which is 3" longer even if the lift is only 2"? does it means that the shocks will always have the 1" compressed? resulting to shorten the lifespan of the 3" longer shocks? ... i have a 2001 xj sport.
I dont *think* so, Ill find out for sure in 4 more days. :)

MyJeepXJ said:
Damnit, my luck... Been waiting all week for my days off, today and tomorrow, and wouldnt u know.... Its 38deg with 20mph ghust. Too damn cold to work on the Jeep...

I was just telling my buddy that he should be glad it was high thirtys the other night when we were working on his truck in the garage! Practically a tropical heat wave around here!

Well, I only had time to get the front shocks on, and new break pads up front. Went with Ceramic this time, I hope they will be as promised and have much less brake dust. Ill post pictures here if there better.

Also, the shocks I got for the front, which were a lot longer than stock shocks, appear to be the same length that came out! I looked the number up, or at least tried to find it, but could find nothing.

I did find a local shop that has Skyjacker shocks, set of 4, for $177, thats $44 each. As a last resort I reckon, thats over twice what I have in these basic LT shocks.

Yet to do, remove rear sway bar, and R&R rear shocks. Can I use my sway bar mounts for BPE like I saw on the other web site, which I forget both the name and URL of? Is what I was planning until I can get some, or make some...

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:
Screw it... I did some more searching, I might as well just get a pair of RRO BPEs, for $22 its worht it to me to not have to drag the welder out. :)

Andrew

Back