• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Box Suggestions

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
First a little background. A few weeks ago, I replaced my serpentine belt and idler pulley. I must have adjusted the belt a little too tightly because my power steering pump started making noises and I started losing a lot of PS fluid. No problem, I figured I'd just grab a PS pump from the junkyard for about $10.00 and replace it. Well I figured I'd replace the pressure hose while I was at it. When I was connecting the new hose to the box, I must have overtightened the connection and stripped the threads in the steering box. (I was tightening the "bolt" and all of a sudden it got really easy to turn the bolt, and now it just won't tighten now) Am I screwed and need to replace the steering box now, or does anyone have any suggestions? If I need to replace the Steering box, How big of a job is it? I'm afraid it may be beyond my abilities. Does anyone have a writeup on replacing the box?

I have a couple of old Chiltons that have a section on Saginaw boxes. They are fairly generic. The local library, usually has a few Chilton's on the shelves, Xerox the steering box section.
The hardest part of taking mine off/apart was getting the pitman arm off. It takes a pretty heavy duty puller.
The next time you tighten a compression fitting, take it down till it stops turning (choke up on the wrench a bit), then another 1/4 turn or so and stop. Over tightening it just compresses the flange more and really doesn't make it any tighter.
You probably had it cross threaded from the get go. Look closely and see if the threads separated (stripped) in the steering box or on the compression sleeve or both.
I can't really remember if the threads in the box are part of the box or a compression fitting adapter. Look closely, use a flashlight.

Back