• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut out fenders, stock suspension.

Jamoni

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, newb here. I have a 2000 XJ Sport, 4.0, automatic, still stock. It's my daily driver, and I don't want to spend too much money right now, though I intend to do a mild build up in stages.

Stage 1:
-cut out the fenders, trim the bumpers if necessary, and squeeze some good size tires under there on the stock rims.
-Skid plates

Stage 2:
-Onboard air
-onboard welder
-lights lights lights

Stage 3:
-3" lift
-Larger tires and new rims (preferably with the internal inflatable bead locks, if those are still available/street legal)
-front bumper with winch/tow shackles
-rear bumper with swing away tire carrier/hi lift/tow shackles
-rock sliders
-redo interior

Most of this is up in the air, and subject to change. I won't be able to start the third stage for quite some time.
My question, first of many, is: Does anybody have experience with cutting the fenders on a stock height XJ? How big can I go, without SERIOUS rubbing problems. I don't intend to offroad it much in this stage, just some camping trips and dirt roads, so I don't expect to max out the articulation too much.
Also, are there any good skidplates that will work on a stock jeep, but still fit when I lift it? What areas do I need to focus on protecting?
Any other tips would be welcome.

Looks like you are going down the right road.

Jamoni said:
My question, first of many, is: Does anybody have experience with cutting the fenders on a stock height XJ? How big can I go, without SERIOUS rubbing problems. I don't intend to offroad it much in this stage, just some camping trips and dirt roads, so I don't expect to max out the articulation too much.
with SERIOUS fender trimming i have heard of 33's fitting. The problem at that point is the tires rubbing on the control arms - a little less backspacing on the rims would help.
Realisticaly, 31's is about all that you can trim to fit stock
Jamoni said:
Also, are there any good skidplates that will work on a stock jeep, but still fit when I lift it? What areas do I need to focus on protecting?
Any other tips would be welcome.

I had the Rusty's Engine/Tranny and T-case skid, they worked with my stock and lifted vehicle - pretty much all skids are designed to work with all lifts.

I would focus on protecting the Transfer Case, rock rails and gas tank - the engine/tranny if you have extra cash, but t-case first... that is the low point and its right at the center of the breakover point.

You may want to look at recovery points a little earlier in the game.
Also if you're going to wheel it much then look at a SBS before getting bigger tires.

I actually want to look at recovery points right NOW, but first I looked at my bank account..... :( Are there any inexpensive hooks that might tie in to the existing bumper or frame, that would even be worth bothering with?
31" sounds about right for the first stage. Would this put too severe a strain on the driveline during normal use? I really don't do much offroading, like I said, mainly camping and fireroads. That sort of thing. Hell, if I like the low look/performance of an unlifted jeep with 31s, I might skip the lift altogether.
And I think I SHOULD put the rock rails on the first stage.
I'm thinking of fabbing my own flares. My idea was to make brackets out of aluminum 3/16 stock, and then skin them with some sort of plastic or rubber material. This would give me a lot of flexibility as to the shape and width of the flares. Has anyone done this? And did it look like crap? :)
Thanks, guys.
Edit: SBS?

Last edited:
You can get used towhook mounts pretty cheap from guys upgrading to bumpers.
I think I sold my hooks and brackets for 50 bones.

For your flares just start seraching the modified section for flares and looking at all the pics until you're happy. I used TJ's then Bushwackers and now explorers. Next I'll build some with a tube connecting from the slider to the bumper and sheeted from there to the fender. You could do fiberglass but it can crack if you rub it on some trees wrong.

I'm not clear what you intend to do. You said fireroads. You really don't need protection for those. I bought my jeep used with 30's on. The dealer probably thought it would look better. It did! However I would rub my uncut fenders going over a decent bump. Wheeling was out of the question. Later I did the home brew budget boost for 2.5 inches and cut my fenders. Running 32's. Very happy with the lift. No rubing but I did change my bump stops. Wouldn't do any more without a proper lift. 32's on stock gears are as much as I care. Lot's of other things to consider too. T-case skid is a good one. Even a stock one from the bone yard is better than nothing. They are disposable. Hooks are a must too. I'm at the point where I would wheel tougher stuff if I had more capable rig (lift, lockers, gearing), OR if I had more recovery gear (winch, tow points, protection) It's a toss up. Keep going you will get there.

Thanks for the replys!
BigWhitey, I like the idea of used hooks. Sounds like I could swing that easy.
For flares, I just want something really squared off. I like the straight edges and sharp angles of the cherokee styling, and want to reflect that in the flares. I like the idea of tube flares, that might look pretty sweet, and be a little tougher.
Dirt Surfer, I don't do any serious wheeling, and haven't since the Army. But I want a little more ground clearance for getting over rocks, logs, etc. that might be found on dirt farm roads, cutting through fields, crossing small creeks, that sort of thing. Yes, I know the stock XJ would handle those fine, but do I really have to justify modding my jeep? :)
As for why the larger tires first and then the lift? First, money. I can afford a lift OR bigger tires, but not both. And I'll be damned if I'll have a lifted jeep with stock tires. :) Also, did anyone see the JP article where they shoved 35" tires under a stock height Wrangler? That thing looked AWESOME. It looked like it was designed to take those tires. I think a Cherokee would look badass with 32s and stock height.
Yes, I know it's not all about looks. The lift and serious stuff will come later. You know, when I'm rich.

Jamoni said:
Dirt Surfer, I don't do any serious wheeling, and haven't since the Army. But I want a little more ground clearance for getting over rocks, logs, etc. that might be found on dirt farm roads, cutting through fields, crossing small creeks, that sort of thing. Yes, I know the stock XJ would handle those fine, but do I really have to justify modding my jeep? :)
No you don't have to justify mods. However, when you say you don't have much money, then you want to get as much bang as you can for your money. There is also an attitude with some 4x4er that is you don't have 35's with lockers at each end, you have no buisness being off asphalt. That is not what I am trying to say. My point is that the XJ is very capable with minor mods. I am really suprised where I can go with 2" lift on 32's with disconected sway bars. Total it cost me $250 and half of that was my disconects. You are headed in the right direction. Plan it out. You don't have to spend a fortune, and you will have a lot of fun.

P.S. I have hooks in front and I use my hitch in the rear, and I've used them. Recovery point are a very good idea.

I have an 89 Cherokee. I bought it as parts Jeep for my 90. I fixed all the engine oil leaks. Had the exhaust manifold welded. Swapped in a set of 4.10 axles from an 86. Bolted on some front tow hooks, front skid plate, gas tank skid and trailer hitch. Mounted a set of 31X10.50R15 Truxus MTs.

Went to Rausch Creek on Sunday. Trail 13 among others. Greens, blues, blacks. Did not get stuck and had a great day. I had to realign my exhaust system and I needed one muffler clamp to fix it. Going back for more soon.

XJ_ranger said:
Looks like you are going down the right road.

with SERIOUS fender trimming i have heard of 33's fitting. The problem at that point is the tires rubbing on the control arms - a little less backspacing on the rims would help.
Realisticaly, 31's is about all that you can trim to fit stock

I seen a guy in the wheeling or lift thread over at jeepforum with no lift/hacked fenders and 34"s. It shows him flexing to, I was surprised.

Back