• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear sway bar on or off?

jonn

NAXJA Forum User
i recently installed a six inch lift on my xj and was wondering if most people leave the rear sway bar attached? i re-installed the sway bar but the rear suspension feels quite stiff when driving on the road. i drive quite alot on logging roads and it is still my daily driver. the other option i have is removing one of the leafs. anyone have any experience? thanks

prb24 said:
Most people remove it, without adverse effects, regardless of lift height.

Not to mention that Up-Country XJs came without one from the factory. It's amazing how much better the rear flexes than the front on mine.

Toss it! I originally left mine on and it road like a brick. Not to mention the obvious flex issues.

the 2nd most asked question here. yes get rid of it

Mine is off as well, and I like it even though I can tell (I'm exceptionally picky about things); however, when others respond that UpCountry models came without it from the factory, you must understand that those models also came with considerably higher rear spring rates. Those higher spring rates compensated (though not to the same amount of force) for side-to-side motion that the other models relied on the anti-sway bar for. If you plan to use an add a leaf in the future, that will help make up the difference.
EDIT: Sorry, didn't pay close enough attention to your original post. With your lift (already having extra leaves) you shouldn't bother with the bar. It might actually hinder your lift and ride quality, especially considering the height you mention.

As far as I'm concerned the rear sway bar makes something great to trip over in the garage. I haven't found another use for it yet but I know as soon as I throw it away I will think of something. You can use the mounts for bar pin eliminators. I used the end links combined with the front sway bar links to make some adjustable front sway bar disconnects. As far as I'm concerned that is about the extent of the usefulness of the rear sway bar.

Neil

Neil said:
As far as I'm concerned the rear sway bar makes something great to trip over in the garage. I haven't found another use for it yet but I know as soon as I throw it away I will think of something. You can use the mounts for bar pin eliminators. I used the end links combined with the front sway bar links to make some adjustable front sway bar disconnects. As far as I'm concerned that is about the extent of the usefulness of the rear sway bar.
Neil
Use it for yard art. Or hang it on the garage wall so people will ask ?? about it. I have 5 hanging in the shed. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Use it for yard art. Or hang it on the garage wall so people will ask ?? about it. I have 5 hanging in the shed. JIM.

Thought about yard art, but my luck it will fall over and I will run over it with the lawn mower. I will try and hang it on the wall that might work! Thanks!
Neil

I still have mine on any guys out there with out one pull a utility trailer or small pop up campers? I have both is the reason i still have it

I have pulled several trailers and had no problem whatsoever. The trailers included a lowboy with a 720 Bob Cat, a car hauler with a 65' Mustang and another Cherokee (not all at the same time) Now when I say that I pulled the trailers with no problem that's what I did. Stopping was an entirely different story. I pulled all of these trailers from Fresno to Oakhurst CA. The road in between is very hilly and windy. My Jeep pulled hard and cornered great but, like I said stopping was the scary part. I really don't see what that chinsey little piece of wire they call a sway bar is going to do besides limit travel anyway.

Just my 2 cents
Neil

Back