• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piecing together a Lift kit..help

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i posted this before, but got no answers. but im sitting on a rustys 2" BB right now with some Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks. well i wanna go a lil higher, so i want to get a 3" kit from rustys, but i want the new leaf packs. but i dont need new shocks. so i can get Rustys 3" HD coils, 3" Leaf spring packs, and Front and Rear Brake line extensions shipped for $408 bucks. anything else i need? cuz i dont need the new shocks, so not gonna pay another 100 bucks for the shocks. is this everything i need, was reading what came witht he rustys 3" spring pack kit and i think thats everything, would like some input. thanks

I'm willing to bet those shocks arent going to cut it. Mine came up way short in the back. If you are running stock control arms and track bar it's going to be like crap. Either get a good adjustable set of upper and loer arms OR the best bet would be to go with long arms. Also a good HD adjustable track bar. I had a BB and put a 3" kit on top of it and ended up with nearly 7" at first. Think SYE too.

Big lifts don't come cheap when they are done right.

Cherokeekid88 said:
ok so i posted this before, but got no answers. but im sitting on a rustys 2" BB right now with some Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks. well i wanna go a lil higher, so i want to get a 3" kit from rustys, but i want the new leaf packs. but i dont need new shocks. so i can get Rustys 3" HD coils, 3" Leaf spring packs, and Front and Rear Brake line extensions shipped for $408 bucks. anything else i need? cuz i dont need the new shocks, so not gonna pay another 100 bucks for the shocks. is this everything i need, was reading what came witht he rustys 3" spring pack kit and i think thats everything, would like some input. thanks

Are you keeping the BB and the 3" lift for 5+" or are you just doing the 3" lift and gettting rid of the BB? Keep in mind a lift with full packs is going to be higher for a while so that 3" kit will probably sit at 4.5 " at first. If those shocks are for 2-3" they won't cut it.

I already did it. I kept the BB consisting of shackles/spacer and added 3" leafs and springs. It has been on for a year now and settled @ 5" and a little change. This is where it sits now and those are 31s:
flares003.jpg

Im taking the BB out, and then putting in the 3" spring pack kit, but i was just gonna buyt he coils and then new full leaf packs seperatly, since i already have new shocks. the shocks i have are ment for 1-3" of lift in the front and 1-3" of lift in the rear. So i wouldnt imagine that they would come up short, since my stock shocks i had on when i did my bb were long enough and it sat up like 4" in the rear when we first put it on.

Go for it. The worst that can happen is you will need new/longer shocks. Also bar pin eliminators will give you an extra inch or so. Let us know how it works out!

back to the original poster
your shocks will prolly be ok

THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR
front sway bar connects will not fit(not sure if youi have addressed this issue yet with the BB)
yoiur lower control arms might not cut it ..
possibility that they will be to short..
also watch out for your axle starting to shift over
cheokees have a tendency to shift the front axle when the lift gets starts getting in the 3" and up area(which means you might need a newtrackbar)

and finally

once you lift it you will prolly want to wheel it a little more aggresively
meaning that those stock control arms will fold up if youi dont take it easy on em..they are only stamped metal..

its casue and effect..
the cheapest lift yoiu can do on the cherokee is the first 2"
seems like every inch after that
cost ya bigger dollars

edited my coffee is on its way

Last edited:
well my buddy had his 3" lift installed and had no problems other than he got a new track bar because the trac bar relocating brackets shifting his axle over a lil bit, but i know that ZJ's are more complicated when it comes to lifting , so i wouldnt imagin that my xj would be any tougher than his, plus i prolly gonna get my local 4x4 plus to put my lift on, because i had way to much trouble with a 2" bb to try and go for 3"

Cherokeekid88 said:
well my buddy had his 3" lift installed and had no problems other than he got a new track bar because the trac bar relocating brackets shifting his axle over a lil bit, but i know that ZJ's are more complicated when it comes to lifting , so i wouldnt imagin that my xj would be any tougher than his, plus i prolly gonna get my local 4x4 plus to put my lift on, because i had way to much trouble with a 2" bb to try and go for 3"

unistalling the 2"bb and then installing the 3" kit will essentially be the same as what you've already done..
but if you wanna spend the $$ to pay someone else to do it then go for it/or Don't Go for it actually, let them go for it$

with 3" of lift you may need a t-case drop to limit drive line vibes

and in front you will need to extend you brake lines (if you plan on wheelin it off-road)
>>easy way is to unbolt the hardline/flexline coupling braket from the frame and using your hand starting where the line enters the fenderwell, remove all the bends and kinks from the hard-line and then where the coupling braket lines up on the frame drill a new hole and reattatch using the stock hardware.
--seems like the rear line will be long enough for 3" lift, but double check that.

Back