• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeel sounding like a belt cant pinpoint

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
Guys 88 xj 4.0

can not pinpoint belt squeel... So far i have replaced ps pump, idler, water pump
and belt

The squeel is a high pitched and increases with RPM then drops off after a certain RPM .. it is very loud... nothing is binding and i can not figure out what its comming from..

Only bearings left are the mechanical fan and the alternator... I dont like to replace parts like this to find a problem.. its no fun... but i am ready to let the stealership find the source... any ideas or hints... i tried listening around the bay for the sound couldnt hear the exact source though it soujnds like its comming from the water pump area

with the fan belt removed i freewheeld everything and nothing seems to sound... another thing i tried even was "motoring" the engine with negative results

Take an old piece of garden hose about 3 feet long and use that as a "stethescope." I saw mechanics in Mexico do that, and it works great. Hold one end up to your ear, and the other end to various locations to isolate the noise.

not sure about garden hose bit i always use a long screwdriver to isolats sounds just stick the handle on your ead and the other end where you think its coming from it usually is clear as day

Check the harmonic balancer. They start separating over time.

I did the mexican hose trick just now... cant isolate it.. Its a belt squeel..

here is the thing:

i had a squeeling belt.. ORdered an OE Mopar belt... put it on... set the tension with my trusty krikit and no more belt squeel... Happy man...

24 hrs later squeel is way worse with the new belt.. check the tension and everyhing is good... but a loud slipping belt squeal that i describe as sounding like being next to a 1983 toyota corola with a slipping belt..

anyways i am convinced the new belt for whatever reason is the culpret.. after all the squeel went away when the new belt was put on ... only to come back 24 hrs later..

The only thing i can think of is the new Mopar value line belt is junk or that some fluid got on it and contaimianted it..

Oh and im positive now its a belt squeel because if i shoot it with belt dressing it gets WAY LOUDER

You probably already know this, but new belts tend to stretch a bit after they are installed. You might try re-tightening it a bit to see if that helps.

Good luck.

If the squeel cycles you can bet it's a misaligned drive accesory, or a warped pulley interacting with the belt. If its a constant squeel it may be a loose belt, or less likely a bearing. For starters try a gatorback belt, they run with both less friction and slippage.

I had this problem wth my 92, and I found the cooling fan pulley was slightly warped, and had burnished the belt. A new pulley which lacked a lip on its rim like the original, totally cured the squeel.

Thanks guys

its gotta be the belt... imma get a gatorback tommorow amazingly autozoo stocks them and take the mopar back... I realzied the water pump pully was bent and replaced it today , but the squeel was still there, i think like the other user said it may have burnished the belt

i have the same sound. it almost sounds like the bearing in my a/c pump but then again i have no idea. when you find out what happens please do tell. thanks.

You can ensure that it's really a belt squeal by spraying some brake fluid on the belt. This won't harm the belt, and wears off quickly, but it will stop squealing for a while. If the squeal remains, look elsewhere.

I also have a belt squeal problem with my 88' Cherokee 6-cyl with serpentine belt. I replace the idler pully last year with OEM new and it didn't help. I replaced the belt twice and it didn't help. The dealer says the Crankshaft pulley has to be replaced but when I spary anything (WD-40, Belt dressing, spray silicone) on the flat side of the belt the squeal goes away but comes right back. The crankshaft pulley comes in contact with the grove side. I'm lost here.

Ken C.

Check tension on the belt. I had my AC squeeling only when I turned it on. I just put the belt on. I tightened it up once again and now everything is fine. If it continues, I would check your harmonic balancer. They tend to seperate. I had to learn the hard way by replacing the belt, and a few tranny and cooling lines.

Back