• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 lockright install issues

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
Ok, well this install just got a little more complicated.

I'm working on an 03 TJ w/ a dana 30 up front and 3.73s

took the axle shafts out, knocked the roll pin out that holds the cross shaft in

When I go to take out the cross shaft out, it hits the ring gear leading me to believe that not only are we going to have to remove the carrier, but also unbolt the ring gear. :doh:

Any tips on removing the carrier and ring gear. Am I going to need any special tools to set things back up, or will it just go back together.

I need to get this together tonight so we can wheel tommorow morning.

I do not have the tools here to go about resetting any backlash etc.

Look into grinding the ring gear,its done all the time.

When I installed mine I pulled the carrier. Mark the bearing caps so they go back the same as they came off. Use a little locktight when reinstalling the ring gear bolts & torque everything correctly. It should go right back together, no need to reset the gears. Or you could grind some off of the ring gear teeth. I would rather use option #1. HTH. JIM.

Like Jim said, mark the caps so that they go back where they belong.

Also, the carrier can be heavy and slippery. Get a box, fill it with rags, and put it under the pumpkin. Then when the carrier comes out, it will have a soft place to land. And you won't risk smashing a hand, foot, or head.

I removed the ring gear. Grinding a tooth works too. But I preferred not to.

Pop the carrier out...it's easier.

The caps are marked with a stamped letter to make sure you put the right one back in the right spot in the right orientation....at least they should be.

good info on the bearing caps ..they must go back on exactly like they came off
or yoiu could burn up the bearings..

on the carrier ..mark the ring gear in relation to the carrier..

white out works well..
remove the ring gear.. install the locker completly then put the ring gear back on..

also it might be tight on the carrier so in might take some massaging to get it on and off..
I have used a screwdriver and a malet to get the ring gear off(tip goes between the gear nad the carrier..

and to put it back on you might have to use the mallet again ..

yoiu wont have to reset any thing
just make sure it goes back in just like it came out

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/lr00a/

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, i got it done, that was a pain in the ass to get the carrier back into the housing.

I hope we dont tear this thing up tommorow, i have no desire to pull it appart on the trail.

I hoped you used red loctite on the ring gear bolts.....

Ring gear bolts have a tendency to come loose over time, especially on the Dana 30. Thats why most good master install kits come with a small tube of the stuff.

AARON

Ditto on the locktight. I didn't use any on my D35 when I installed the locker and 6 months later 3 came loose and were fired right thru axle cover. Fortunatly I saw the leak right away and fixed it before any major damage was done. But it was a PITA because I was backcountry camping on the trail and had to do it in the rain. :<

And so you don't worry about it all day...go wheeling and then drain the oil before you re-torque the ring gear bolts afer putting in your LocTite. You can do it in the rig...don't ask how I know. ;)

I have the slightest bit of OCD and couldn't remember doing the LocTite. Got home from the office one night and just decided to find out. Every bolt came loose at only a couple of pounds of torque. Cleaned them up, cleaned the holes and then put it all back together while laying in the driveway in the rain. Felt miserable....but it was a good kind of miserable.

John90XJ said:
I have the slightest bit of OCD and couldn't remember doing the LocTite. Got home from the office one night and just decided to find out. Every bolt came loose at only a couple of pounds of torque. Cleaned them up, cleaned the holes and then put it all back together while laying in the driveway in the rain. Felt miserable....but it was a good kind of miserable.

BTDT...we should make t-shirts. :D

Back