• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM vs. Aftermarket

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Notice that a lot of you feel like the Dealer AKA Stealership OEM parts are better than after market. Why?

My only comments on this would be that of course if you buy the Super WalMart brand CPS or Tire brand Tires then it will probably be junk. However, upgrading components with name-brand aftermarket goodies always seems like a good idea to me. For instance brake pads or O2 sensors.

Just curious to see what y'all think.

Well, the factory stuff just seems to last a long time. Plus, some of the factory stuff is name brand stuff(Bosch supplies O2 sensors, fuel pumps, ect.).
Case in point, my driver's side motor mount just went out(it had 150,000 miles on it), I replaced it with a $20 Autozone part with lifetime warranty. I has already cracked and only has 2000 miles on it. Yes it has a lifetime warranty but if I have to replace it every 2000 miles it isn't worth it to save a few bucks. Kinda like a lifetime warranty on piston rings. ;)

Jes

Hawaiian Style said:
However, upgrading components with name-brand aftermarket goodies always seems like a good idea to me. For instance brake pads or O2 sensors.
1. Sometimes it's upgrading, usually it's just replacing with quality parts. I'm of your opinion on this.
However, 'quality' is very subjective. I will never buy any remanufactured electrical thing, and I'm suspicious of all other remanufactured items regardless of warranty.

2. Sometimes the dealer is the only source; e.g., the gawd@m parking brake handle.

3. Your original premise, that many (most?) on this board believe dealer parts are best may be true, but it has been my experience observing this board that *most* are NOT of that opinion.

The manufacturers make sure to specifiy how a part is built and what components are used, screw up and they don't buy from you anymore. Things that are a PIA to replace like slave cylinders and clutch parts are a no brainer, the dealers/DC don't want to have to replace them under warranty any more than you want to have them replaced. I also think that this applies to the coolant, I would not be suprised if they have a 'special blend' of coolant, with extended warranties they don't want to have to replace plugged rads, leaking water pumps and overheated engines so their stuff would tend to be overbuilt.
Spark plugs, go buy a set of the champions from the dealer, now go to a parts store and grab the same one from the parts shelf, compare the. I did and the OEM ones were different, good difference or bad difference I don't know but I do know that DC/Jeep has emissions standards to maintain while joe parts store is under no obligation. Just my .02
I also like OEM cause I know it fits, with AZ or others it's a crap shoot even if I have the part with me to compare.
Another from my industry, when I build servers or workstations I use full retail parts, CPU's and Motherboards also power supplies are top line. I sell my stuff with a 3 year warranty on all parts [hosed operating systems are the owners problem :D and I charge for that]. Reason being that I can save $10 or so on a cpu from intel with it's OEM rating, warranty is DOA or 90days, Retail is 3 years. Is there a difference, can't say for sure but I know that alot of P3's and P4's that came out of oem plastic pacs came back alot more often then the P3's and P4's that were in retail boxes with intel fans and heatsinks, saving $10 on 40 units can be eaten up with the first two bad ones that I have to replace because the Intel warranty ran out plus shipping back to the customer.
I watched cheap machines get built and sold using cheaper parts and I watched them come back in 1-2 years later.

Last edited:
Hey Jes, don't you think it is time for some M.O.R.E bombproof mounts. As much as you go offroad, you need them. I love mine.----Kyle

Aftermarket replacement parts vary so extreemly in quality...that is the main reason OEM is the best, at least very consistently good. I have seen the absolutely crappiest electrical parts from AZ as an example, it's hard to believe. Also the OEM manufacturer is going to make sure to get improved or updated parts out for sale sooner than the aftermarket.
Is understood in the automotive tune-up world dealership parts are the most dependible. So many spark plug wires just do not perform well unless original equipment. Other examples are motor mounts. Non-OEM's just do not do the job. Either they do not last, or do not as effectively isolate engine vibrations.

If you want to gamble, use cheaper non-dealer parts, otherwise do the dealer!!

it all depends on the parts I think.... For example a factory fog light comes to mind... for the newer XJ's that thing is a joke!!!! They stuck in this lamp inside that melts its guts :( I Think I'm on my 3rd (paid only for the first and had them subsequently replace them... but... I think warranty ran out on the last one :()
On the other hand, the performance wires and cap/rotor are supposed to be of premium quality... Unfortunately I went with the autozone ones as I forgot about hte dealers being so good :(
Anyways, it all varies... I say ask the question for each part in question and then weigh all the answers against each other.

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
it all depends on the parts I think.... For example a factory fog light comes to mind... for the newer XJ's that thing is a joke!!!! They stuck in this lamp inside that melts its guts :( I Think I'm on my 3rd (paid only for the first and had them subsequently replace them... but... I think warranty ran out on the last one :()
On the other hand, the performance wires and cap/rotor are supposed to be of premium quality... Unfortunately I went with the autozone ones as I forgot about hte dealers being so good :(
Anyways, it all varies... I say ask the question for each part in question and then weigh all the answers against each other.

Kejtar

Haha... like any lighting on teh XJ is sufficent. My problem with teh fogs isn't they keep on melting (2000 XJ), but they beam pattern just sux. I have been running 100 watt bulbs and it makes an improvement, but the bulbs keep blowing... but haven't melted the actual housing. BTW, I have been told that Hella Optilux 1450s are a really good fit.. I intend on installing some soon (another bulb blew recently.. tired of replacing them).

-Chris

offroadman83 said:
Hey Jes, don't you think it is time for some M.O.R.E bombproof mounts. As much as you go offroad, you need them. I love mine.----Kyle

Well, the factory one lasted 150,000 miles and I've been wheeling the thing for the past 3 years. A TJ friend just put the M.O.R.E. motor mount lift on his TJ so he gave me his stock motor mounts(same as XJ) so I'll just put one of those on.
I wonder if the bushings in the M.O.R.E. mounts transmit a lot of vibrations in to the cab? That may not be a concern for a trail only rig but I do a lot of highway miles getting to my wheeling detinations so NVH is a real concern of mine.

Jes

Jes said:
Well, the factory one lasted 150,000 miles and I've been wheeling the thing for the past 3 years. A TJ friend just put the M.O.R.E. motor mount lift on his TJ so he gave me his stock motor mounts(same as XJ) so I'll just put one of those on.
I wonder if the bushings in the M.O.R.E. mounts transmit a lot of vibrations in to the cab? That may not be a concern for a trail only rig but I do a lot of highway miles getting to my wheeling detinations so NVH is a real concern of mine.

Jes

Yup. The M.O.R.E. mounts WILL transmit more vibration. I drive 25+ miles through Chicago suburban traffic each way to work. It's most noticeable at idle, though.

Engine idle vibrations are very obvious with the MORE mounts, but the durability and piece of mind they provide are worth the added noise. On the highway they are not nearly as obvious (I have MTRs that drown out the noise).

oem VS advance auto... i needed a new water neck cause mine was cracked on my 87.... went to advance and the one he had was cast steel , the oem was aluminum.... it was F'ing HUGE!! and cast into the body is the word "CHINA" great! it fits ok but the bolt holes were off a bit.. and its sooooo big it runs closer to the acc belt than i like.. it worked in a pinch but thats an excellent example for ya....
and last month i found out that the only starter available thru the dealer is a REMAN... cant even get new anymore.... isnt it a mitsubishi unit on the early 4.0L's?? so i got a DELCO REMAN instead for $40 less......

mike

Back