• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Air Front

hmmm. cold air front? knock out your windsheild maybe? or one of those nifty sprayers for intercoolers like on tuner cars? or an intake tube plus filter? if the last is what your refering to yes, rustys has one that i bought and i like. im sure there are others too.

He's in Alaska and is wanting "cold" air??? Huh :dunno:

I'm thinking he means a "winter front" to cover the grill and allow the engine to generate more heat for extreme cold temps (like you would see on diesels). I've not seen one specifically for the XJ, but Lund makes winter fronts for pickups... maybe one could be adapted?

edit: I checked a bit and could not find one listed specifically for the XJ, but there are quite a few on eBay. This vendor: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADI...ewItemQQcategoryZ38659QQitemZ8029951036QQrdZ1
Indicated that he had most patterns. Might be worth dropping him a line. Good luck!

Last edited:
I did mine the simple way. Hit some black ice, spun out and nudged the Armco. I don't recommend this technique for crossing bridges, but now my license plate is attached to the grille with zip ties. Perfect for winter! :rolleyes:

sorry for the confusion...i don't want a cold air intake, i want cold air front/winter front to help keep everything under the hood warm when it's -40* up here.

i know lund makes one for the WJ that just snaps into the grills slots. and yeah every couple years it hits -50 or -60, but for the most part it gets down to -30 or -40. we plug our cars in up here to keep the block, tranny, and battery warm when they're parked. any parking lot has a 120v outlet in front of each spot just for that reason. if you don't plug in - you won't start your car until March, unless you get it towed someplace indoors to let it warm up.

Last edited:
I use cardboard inside the grill. Take it out & throw it away in the spring. That way I don't spend $$ on something that will get lost or thrown out during the summer. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
I use cardboard inside the grill. Take it out & throw it away in the spring. That way I don't spend $$ on something that will get lost or thrown out during the summer. JIM.

OK maybe a stupid question here but do we need this in a typical Southern North American winter? In Alaska I can understand but what would it do for us further south with a warmer winter?

FRAM said:
OK maybe a stupid question here but do we need this in a typical Southern North American winter? In Alaska I can understand but what would it do for us further south with a warmer winter?

Faster warm-up time, meaning the heater kicks in sooner. That's about it. Of course, you still risk overheating since you don't have as much airflow over the radiator plus a higher ambient temperature than in the Alaskan environment...

I had to do this on a couple vehicles when I was younger courtesy of unusually cold winters (-10degC). What I used was that corrugated plastic stuff usually reserved for signs, etc. It's easy to cut, doesn't turn to mush after getting damp and clog up the radiator surface, and won't melt provided it's positioned right.

I leave about 5" open in the center. With the hood vents I get plenty of air flow but it still warms up quicker. It also stays at temp. on the road. If I go on a trip of 2 hrs. or more I remove half of the card board. I have never had the card board inside the grill turn to mush. It will do that on the outside of the grill. JIM.

Hey gopking, just curious - how many hours of daylight do you have this time of the year?

well, we're gaining a lot of daylight now this time of year. Sunrise is like at 9am and sunset is at about 5 pm. But about a month ago we were getting about 4 hrs of daylight. Sunrise by 11 am and sunset by 3 pm. We're starting to get normal hours of light and dark. By the time May and June roll around, we'll be almost always light out.

luvme88xj said:
-10 C? I had to check to see if you wetre canadian. what is that around 22 degrees F? Thats nothing. short sleeve weather casm

-10 C = +14 farenheit. Here in Montana, we regularly get -20 farenheit. It's great for chasing away the Californians in the fall :)

Also ... I vote for cardboard. I cut a "Vee" in mine and spray it with some black paint from an old rattle can. Works great and it's free.

luvme88xj said:
-10 C? I had to check to see if you wetre canadian.

Irish. I was just too lazy to do the mental math required to convert :D

what is that around 22 degrees F? Thats nothing. short sleeve weather casm

Yeah, but not when normal winter days sit at or barely below freezing. Thanks for the winds, Siberia!

Back