• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggestions before dealer drop off

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
here is the story

90 xj 4.0 4x4 so on and so forth

I bought it about a year a go and the first thing i did was look into the old recalls that needed to be done, one of them being the shift interlock fix. I proceeded to drop it off for the repair no big deal, then about 4 months ago i wasn't able to shift from park at all with the jeep running or the key in the on position, so i have been just starting it in nuetral and keeping it out of park when i'm idleing somewhere. All along i'm thinking its the shift interlock giving me problems so while at the dealer today buying some CCV parts and oil filter adapter o rings i ask about the problem and made an appointment to drop it off for another shift interlock fix. My concern is that they are going to tell me it is something else causing the problem that i could have fixed my self and then they will charge me like 80 bucks for looking at it. what i'm wanting to know is does this sound like the problem to you guys? what else could cause this problem?

thanks Harold

when you take it in, the service write will/should ask you for a dollar amount that should not be exceeded without your approval. let's say diagnostic is $60. then you make sure he checks the box that says: "call customer if cost is to exceed $60".

by then they should be able to give you an idea as to what they think is wrong. at that point you can make a decision whether or not you want to continue. if you think you can fix it yourself after they tell you what's wrong, then you just tell them that you want to pick it up without repairs. just make sure you feel secure or will in fact fix it. it could be quite embarassing to pick it up and then have to take it back cuz you couldn't figure it out.

i know i can fix it, whatever it is. just trying to be sure its covered under the recall so i dont waste my or their time

Back