• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover Snorkle Question

OK, My pal Mike and I are bulding a couple of Renix 4.0s for our 90 Cherokees. We've completely disassembled the valve covers including the two snorkles inside. Here's the rub:

We didn't notice that there was a difference in the snorkles. Two of the 4 snorkles (remember, this is for 2 engines) had a hole about 3/8" dia. near the top of the snorkles.

What we don't know, is if the ones with the holes came out of one of the engines (one's an 88, one's a 90) or if each engine had one of each kind of snorkle. If there's one each per engine, where does the one with the hole go? We guessed it went in the rear location since that was the suction snorkle and you'd wnt to pull air from the top of the valve cover rather than the bottom.

Funy, my FSM doesn't even seem to discuss and there's nothing in the dealer's parts book that shows this.

Got pix?

All four of my RENIX XJ's are the same externally, and the larger hole goes up front (with the smaller one in back.) I haven't noticed any difference in hole size on the larger front CCV hose - that's out of a total of, now, seven (four OEM, and three replacements. One from the dealer, and two from NAPA.)

So, without pix, I'm still a little stuck.

5-90

Rocketman said:
The "snorkles" you refer to are the CCV tubes and grommet assemblies.

WRONG! I'm talking about what the FSM refers to as "baffles". They are INSIDE the valve cover and each is held on with three screws. One of em has a hole in it near the top. Need to know which goes where.

5-90 said:
Oh - that. I'd think the one with the larger hole would go up front - as I recall, that's the suction side anyhow. Maybe I have a RENIX valve cover lying about that I can take pix of - but it would take a couple days to find it. Are you in a hurry?

5-90

Hurry? Yes! We plan on firing up the engine tonight! Isn't the suction side the back snorkle? That's where the CCV goes. I'd think the one with the hole would go there.

I have an 89 Valve cover sitting here. On both of the baffles (for lack of a better name) inside this cover have the hole. So, maybe one of your two engines had two and the other had none. If my batteries did not just die i would take a picture.

Back