• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 xj brake replacement with longer lines? Where to get?

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
85 xj brake replacement with longer lines? d30, 8.8 adapters.

I have been doing some reading on brakes and it seems like rubber is the way to go. For my 85 what do I tell the guys at NAPA when I am ordering longer brake lines for a YJ or a TJ? I will be at about five or six inches of lift and need them long enough for my front. The rear is going to have an 8.8 and I don't know what to order to get my brakes adapted to my xj for the 8.8.

TIA for the help on this.

Kim.

Last edited:
mrbill3 said:
What you need are the brake lines for a 95 YJ.

ok, so the front brakes are figured out now, how do I adapt my 8.8 to my xj brake line? Is there a certain brake line I have to order for a 8.8 or will a longer brake line from the yj work with it? Thanks for the help.

Kim.

I am going to use a rear line off of a 93' Dakota. I'm sure other year Dakotas apply, but I'm not aware of what they are. The facotry 8.8 hardlines mate right up to it and the hose is IIRC 21 1/8" long. NAPA #38636 I think it will be long enough to go from the top of the punkin to the body of the XJ. Top of the punkin is where the stock hardlines are routed to on my 8.8. If it's not quite enough, I'll use the cheapy bracket thingy that came with Rustys lift kit, to get a couple more inches. Thats my plan anyway. Hope to excute in the morn.:D
My 8.8 has drums, BTW.

HTH Kim.

Last edited:
do you have extended emergency brake lines?
so many people go with out them here. I don't think that is wise.
If the shorter ones work...use them if not
I have an extra set of longer lines PM me if you need them

Use the stock 8.8 brakeline if you're running discs...should work with drums with some creativity.

Otherwise run a YJ line in the rear.

Last edited:
Haleyes said:
I am going to use a rear line off of a 93' Dakota. I'm sure other year Dakotas apply, but I'm not aware of what they are. The facotry 8.8 hardlines mate right up to it and the hose is IIRC 21 1/8" long. NAPA #38636 I think it will be long enough to go from the top of the punkin to the body of the XJ. Top of the punkin is where the stock hardlines are routed to on my 8.8. If it's not quite enough, I'll use the cheapy bracket thingy that came with Rustys lift kit, to get a couple more inches. Thats my plan anyway. Hope to excute in the morn.:D
My 8.8 has drums, BTW.

HTH Kim.

UPDATE:

If your line goes on top of the drivers side axle tube, the dakota line should work great.
It will work for me too, I'll just have to do a little more bracket fabbing.

On the front brake lines, make sure you ask for non-abs YJ '95 brake lines.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think that I have the brakes figured out now. Have to wait and see when I get it all together and painted.

Damn, I am running out of time Haleyes!! I had better have this done soon. WF is coming up pretty fast.

Thanks again everybody. Haleyes, some pictures of your finished axle with brakes all assembled would be great.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I think that I have the brakes figured out now. Have to wait and see when I get it all together and painted.

Damn, I am running out of time Haleyes!! I had better have this done soon. WF is coming up pretty fast.

Thanks again everybody. Haleyes, some pictures of your finished axle with brakes all assembled would be great.

Kim.

That could be arranged no problem. Give me a day or two, I have to relocate some shock mounts. Make sure you have enough clearance for the u-bolts to go where they need to without getting into the shock mounts...........:D
Remember though, I have drums on my 8.8. I plan on getting a set of discs down the road when $$ permits.

Haleyes said:
Make sure you have enough clearance for the u-bolts to go where they need to without getting into the shock mounts...........:D

Please explain this? How are your shock mounts and u-bolts having a problem? Where is the clearance problem? Sorry, just sounds wierd to me.

Remember though, I have drums on my 8.8. I plan on getting a set of discs down the road when $$ permits.

I picked up my 1998 8.8 with disks for $94.50. Guess I got lucky on the price.

Thanks again Haleyes.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
I picked up my 1998 8.8 with disks for $94.50. Guess I got lucky on the price.

Thanks again Haleyes.

Kim.

Mine is from an 01' Sport Trac /w/ 20,000 miles on it.
$100

I'll have pics by the end of the week.:wave:

85xjwoody said:
Haleyes, some pictures of your finished axle with brakes all assembled would be great.

Kim.

100_1958.jpg

100_1959.jpg

100_1951.jpg

100_1954.jpg

Thanks for the pics!! Ours are very simular on the brake setup. I see what you were talking about with the shocks and u-bolts. Axle looks great.

With using that Dakota line do you have enough length for flex? I will have the rear sitting at about 4-4.5" and will have some good flex so I don't want it to be to short. I think you said that this line was 21" or so. I was looking at a YJ line that is 27" long. Let me know how that line works our for ya. Thanks.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Thanks for the pics!! Ours are very simular on the brake setup. I see what you were talking about with the shocks and u-bolts. Axle looks great.

With using that Dakota line do you have enough length for flex? I will have the rear sitting at about 4-4.5" and will have some good flex so I don't want it to be to short. I think you said that this line was 21" or so. I was looking at a YJ line that is 27" long. Let me know how that line works our for ya. Thanks.

Kim.
I think I'll have plenty of line for flex. I'm at about 3 1/2" now. However, if I knew of the 27" YJ line, I would have gotten it.:D That way I wouldn't have to bleed brakes when I go up later. If it's too long, use some of those tiny zip ties to hold it up. HTH

Back