• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird 231 problem...has stumped all xfer case pros...

Road_37

NAXJA Forum User
Last Summer I converted my early 88 xj sport from a puegot(SP? who cares..) 5sp tranny to that of a later 88 laredo aw4 auto...taking the xfer cases with the move. I'm planning on buying an SYE from RE and I wanted to tinker with the pulled xfer case as practice for the SYE (when I can afford it).
I looked at the model number for each of the cases and noticed that they both read 231 AMC etc... however, the shifting pattern is different between the 2 xfer cases.
The 88 laredo 231 shifts PT-4-H, FT-4-H, N, & FT-4-L -- the 231 from my 88 sport shifts PT-4-H, N, & FT-4-L... again both model show 231 AMC on the case but have different shifting options...I haven't found anyone who can explain why 2 identical 231 xfer cased have different shifting options.
Anyone have any ideas? As my official first post, I appreciate the help.

thats mean one is a 231 and the one with 4wheel part time and fulltime is a 242

I hear all of you loud and clear...this is what others have said .
How could it be that both cases have the same model numbers? Obviosly the serial
number will be different but the 231 AMC is stamped on both...
Is it possible that the 242/241 that I'm using from the Laredo was damaged and that the case cover of a 231 was used to repair it?
I agree they have to be different, how else can I tell which is which without refering to the model number on the plate?
Thanks much for your time.

Are you determining the shift pattern from the interior lever or some other means? It is conceivable that the shift gates don't match the transfer case...

Anyway, both 231's that I have ('87 & '01) have a: 2H-4H-N-4L shift pattern.

TheNerd said:
Are you determining the shift pattern from the interior lever or some other means? It is conceivable that the shift gates don't match the transfer case...

Anyway, both 231's that I have ('87 & '01) have a: 2H-4H-N-4L shift pattern.

From the shift lever and actual functionality...even though my laredo xcase has a 231 model number rivited to the case...it just can't be...has to be a 242. I'm certain the shift pattern is 2H-4HPT-4HFT-N-4LFT, but the dang case says 231!!! Calgon take me away.

What about previous owner swapping the center console??
Its DEFINEATELY NOT a 231's SHIFT PATTERN.

Many posibilities from factory mix up as someone said to what you mentioned, someone switching cases and changing the plates..for what reason...who knows.....
All the way forward is 2WD first pull up to the stop is 4hi, then to the side a bit for neutral, back to tthe left a bit for 4 lo...thats a NP231. As soon as you see HI lock/LO lock or Part time/Full time you have a 242. As far as XJ's are conserned.

IMHO,
CW

Hey, I'm with you my brother...do you know if there are any other "visual" ways to confirm which xcase I have (besides shift pattern)...can I observe any charactaristics of the internal components that would be unique between a 231 and 242? Anything on the case besides the model number on the rivited plate?

cwlongshot said:
What about previous owner swapping the center console??
Its DEFINEATELY NOT a 231's SHIFT PATTERN.

Many posibilities from factory mix up as someone said to what you mentioned, someone switching cases and changing the plates..for what reason...who knows.....
All the way forward is 2WD first pull up to the stop is 4hi, then to the side a bit for neutral, back to tthe left a bit for 4 lo...thats a NP231. As soon as you see HI lock/LO lock or Part time/Full time you have a 242. As far as XJ's are conserned.

IMHO,
CW

Weren't the transfer cases New Process and not AMC? The tags should have New Process or New Venture Gear on them along with the T-case ID tag.

I confess I've been driving all over the world putting 231 ID tags on 242s ever since I won that 10 million dollars on the powerball.........

Back