• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj starts but will not run

rostron

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep will start on the key but it dies after 4-10 seconds, I think it is the immobliser but I can't tell what is stopping the motor, wheather it is fuel or spark ,the fuel pump seems to keep running.

rostron said:
my jeep will start on the key but it dies after 4-10 seconds, I think it is the immobliser but I can't tell what is stopping the motor, wheather it is fuel or spark ,the fuel pump seems to keep running.
Check fuel pressure at the rail with pressure tester. Check spark you know how.

Also, pull the vacuum line off the MAP sensor, leave the electric connector on. This is the way my jeep currently runs with a problem similar to yours, except mine shuts down after 1-2 seconds.

I will give it a try later and go from there, I think the fuel is ok if I crank it over and hold the little valve in on the rail I get lots of fuel, but it is hard because as the motor dies everything stop, thanks

Richdaman said:
Same thing happened to me when a wire got unplugged from a module on the Driverside front near the stock air box. Good luck.
The ballast resistor will do that, but it usually runs for a little longer. A sticky IAC will also do this. As will an unplugged EGR solenoid or a stuck open EGR.
Or like Serge mentioned, your fuel pressure is way low.

I just fixed a problem similar to this a couple days ago. The power wire to the ballast resistor was grounding out in the fire wall. The Jeep would shut off almost instantly when I let go the key but, if I held the key on it would stay running.

the jeep is a 97 and I beleive there is no ballast, when I turn the ignition on and off 5 times to get error message it comes up 12 , I have removed the immobliser under the steering wheel ,but Ithink this unit only cut the start and does the keyless entry the key fob is sending but the jeep doesn't disarm.

Back