• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prerunner Bumper

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this may seem stupid to ask but. Ok, after talking with my brother who welds for a living. He has agreed to build me some prerunner bumpers for my XJ. The only problem is, I have no idea what I need to look for, or the measurements I need. I have seen many pics, just do not know what I need to do as far as materials (i.e. thicknesses, type, etc.) I like the looks of the Four Real Steel, TnT, but do not know of any others that build them. To get ideas from. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Silent

it really depends on if you want it to be bullet proof or just have the look

rect. tubing 10 or 11 gauge 1/8" to 1/4" wall for "O" tubing (1/4" plate/flat-bar for any bracketry) ..should be tough enough for most

unless you're like me and just try to see what will bend/break sometimes..

JLane99XJ said:
it really depends on if you want it to be bullet proof or just have the look

rect. tubing 10 or 11 gauge 1/8" to 1/4" wall for "O" tubing (1/4" plate/flat-bar for any bracketry) ..should be tough enough for most

unless you're like me and just try to see what will bend/break sometimes..

'Hey guys! Watch this!', that's what my wife keeps saying she's going to put on my tombstone. . . it sounds like you're in the same camp!

I want it to be funtional, but not bullet proof. However, I know nothing about how to draws plans for them. I mean, do not know the measurements needed, or what points to mount to, etc. Anymore help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Silent

this is a good starting point that seems within your skill level -
http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

buy that and build whatever you want it to look like onto it -

that takes care of all the mounts and things like that.

Here's my four real steel bumper
Clayton038.jpg

I don't know the measurements, but I know that if I slam it into rocks, it won't give, and it actually "steers" me in the right direction. If you notice on the driver side of the bumper, some of the powdercoating is gone from scraping on rocks.

my advice would be to mock one up with cardboard and duct tape...see what works for you and until you get the right look then take the measurements.

Well, I think the card board would be a little flimsy. How bout you get the measurments for me off yours. If you could please.

Take off your bumpers, get out a tape measure and start measuring.
Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but it's pretty easy to get the measurements for the mounting brackets.
Use a peice of cardboard to make the bolt hole templates.
Then draw the bumper how you want it to look and get your brothers help, since he is into welding I would assume that he has atleast some fab skills.
as you are building it use tack welds that way if it's not what you want it'll be easier to tear it back apart..

good luck

:cheers:

You can get a better setup IMO, from Rigidco for around 80-90 bucks, great for building your own bumper around.

SBrad001 said:
'Hey guys! Watch this!', that's what my wife keeps saying she's going to put on my tombstone. . . it sounds like you're in the same camp!

"Hold my Beer and Watch This " The most dangerous saying there is for men.

followed closely by "I Do."

To answer your original question on materials, it all depends on how big you want it to look. Most builders will use 2" .120 wall mild steel tubing, or
1 3/4" .120 wall mild steel. Anything thicker than .135 wall is too hard on most good benders. DOM and chromoly is a little overkill and expensive for what you want. The four real bumper is made from 2" and so are protofabs. If you dont have access to a bender, most fab shops will bend your tubing for around $5-$10 each bend.

Here's my TrailHead OffRoad (www.THOR4X4.com) pre-runner front bumper after the Honda rear ended me doing 60 while I was parked and pushed me into the Hyundai below:

smDSCF0789.jpg

Here's the small dent it left after I was pushed into the car in front of me:

smDSCF0786.jpg

And the rear after being love tapped by a Honda:

smDSCF0790.jpg

My only recommendation is to be certain of your state's bumper laws. Washington requires a full width bumper (not quite there on mine) and it must be no less than 4.5" high (that part is OK). I was able to help design this (no one else to blame if I don't like it) and they would likely make more on a special order basis. They sit up higher, seem fairly strong, house my lights well and gave me several atachment points.

John90XJ said:
Here's my TrailHead OffRoad (www.THOR4X4.com) pre-runner front bumper after the Honda rear ended me doing 60 while I was parked and pushed me into the Hyundai below:

smDSCF0789.jpg

Here's the small dent it left after I was pushed into the car in front of me:

smDSCF0786.jpg

And the rear after being love tapped by a Honda:

smDSCF0790.jpg

My only recommendation is to be certain of your state's bumper laws. Washington requires a full width bumper (not quite there on mine) and it must be no less than 4.5" high (that part is OK). I was able to help design this (no one else to blame if I don't like it) and they would likely make more on a special order basis. They sit up higher, seem fairly strong, house my lights well and gave me several atachment points.

Those are good looking bumpers. With a simple design like that, it wouldn't be very difficult for silent to try and copy them for himself.

(by using the term "simple", I didn't mean a weak attempt, I ment that with only a few bends in the tube it wouldn't be hard for someone to use your design.
I personally think I might have to steal your design for my own rig.)

vegas_baja said:
Those are good looking bumpers. With a simple design like that, it wouldn't be very difficult for silent to try and copy them for himself.

(by using the term "simple", I didn't mean a weak attempt, I ment that with only a few bends in the tube it wouldn't be hard for someone to use your design.
I personally think I might have to steal your design for my own rig.)

It's 1.50" tube, 1/4" plate and imagination. ;)

While some may think the tube part is easy, I would buy the brackets and not re-invent the wheel so to speak. Check these out....and already setup for an anti-rock. Very cool. This is basically what I have holding the front in place and you just cut the front to match what you're buildng. http://www.thor4x4.com/HTML/xjbumper_mounts.html

install.jpg

Last edited:
John90XJ said:
While some may think the tube part is easy, I would buy the brackets and not re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Very true.

I've built countless bumpers for various rigs and the most time consuming part is making the mounting brackets. Even with a torch or a plasma cutter, you'll spend hours on them. The only rig so far that you can easily make brackets for is the 66-77 bronco (2x4 rectangular steel). If you have a lot of time on your hands dont worry about it, otherwise do yourself a favor and use those brackets.

Back