• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Bumper Question

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im looking at picking up one of these front bumpers, good price heard lots of good things. My question to you...front side/corner protection offered on stage 3 and 4 worth having? Im thinking they will interfere with the trimming I plan on doing for 33s. Anyone have a similar setup? How did it work out?

You do have to trim, yes. I have used mine a time or three. I would recomend if you do not mind the trimming. Plus, I think it looks good.

I dont have their side protection (I have their stage 2) but I will let you know you're dealing with a great company. Also check ebay sometimes they're more inexpensive, I got my stage 2 with unibody tie ins (unpainted) shipped to my door for 250.

here's a member of capitaljeeps thats got the JCR stage 3 with 33s. for 97-01s you don't need to trim, but as you can see, it doesn't hit either one of the front tires or anything.
pa040060large23je.jpg

i like the looks of it, but i'd be afraid of coming down on a rock or a stump or something witht he corner of that bumper. i mean it does provide some protection for the front fenders, but i can just see that strip of metal under the fender going right up into it.

Greenlantern said:
i just started painting mine last night, i got the winch bumper without the side crap

What do you think of their winch bumper, as far as strength, build quality such as welds and structural integrity, and how heavy is it? I assume you have not pulled with it yet since you just started painting it, but I would love to here how it holds up after a few pulls, and just your basic overall impression. Thanks.

I have the stage 4 front on a 99 XJ with 31's but I think there is plenty of room for 33's (which I'll be running in the near furture). The back edge of the side protection stops before the flare starts. As for the strength of the "side crap" IMO it will hold just fine. Over all I am really happy with the bumper and actually just ordered the rock sliders from them as well. Good guys too.

will
99xj AW4/231 30/8.25 3.5 31's and goodies

If you had no side protection there to take the brunt of the impact then imagive the possible damage without it. Mine has saved me a few times. It holds up.

Big thumbs up to JCR. I met the guys at their shop when I was buying wheels from a guy and when I upgrade to a 97+ xj the bumper is from them. The quality is great and the price too. If you wanted the side protection a little shorter I'm sure they would do it for you.

I'm actually building one similar right now and I am putting 2x4 for side protection on. Reason being is my rear will have 2x2 side protection and my rockers will be made with 2x4 allowing 1.5" DOM to tie it all in together:D

I've also seen their shop and bought parts from Brian before. Their welding quality is excellent from everything I've seen. Good people all around.

BlueXJ1013 said:
What do you think of their winch bumper, as far as strength, build quality such as welds and structural integrity, and how heavy is it? I assume you have not pulled with it yet since you just started painting it, but I would love to here how it holds up after a few pulls, and just your basic overall impression. Thanks.

As of right now i am 90% happy with it. I just need to get a winch on it and see how it holds up.

the welds are great in my opinion, but it is only two welded plates with 3 holes each that are holding this on, its probably fine. but i wish it had more.
DSC02638.JPG

Mine doesn't breake back on the sides but sticks out to protect the front..and hold a beer:
bumperfab018.jpg

Also mine doesn't extend too far back as to get caught on a large tire:
bumperfab016.jpg

Mind you I built mine.

Greenlantern said:

As of right now i am 90% happy with it. I just need to get a winch on it and see how it holds up.

the welds are great in my opinion, but it is only two welded plates with 3 holes each that are holding this on, its probably fine. but i wish it had more.
DSC02638.JPG
duuuuuuuuude you really really really need to buy their unibody tie in brackets, wouldn't wanna rip off the front of that thing wouldya?

i like mine pretty well, i have had most of the weight of the jeep on a rock, no bending, solid design:
janwheelin019.jpg

janwheelin004.jpg

shmoken875 said:
duuuuuuuuude you really really really need to buy their unibody tie in brackets, wouldn't wanna rip off the front of that thing wouldya?

I have them , they came with the bumper, the bumper itself bolts on to the tie-in. I am considering welding the tie-ins to the bumper mounting plates for added strength

DSC02637.JPG

Last edited:
Back