• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension and Steering stabilizers

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I would like to find out what mileage shocks should be upgraded/replaced. My '01 Sport has 114k on it and I'm wondering if its time for new ones. It isn't sagging or banging but I had a scary experience the other day on the highway when I hit a small series of bumps. I got a huge wobble from the back end causing me to have to make a major correction at over 60mph. I am familiar with the behavior of solid axles as I owned a Mustang back in the 90's that used to jump to the side if it hit a bump (especially on a curve). Is this similar to what I experieced with my XJ?

Also, when is the best time to get the steering stabilizer replaced? I have heard the "Death Wobble" stories too and want to avoid that as well.
Any and all input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Chuck

at 114K I would say that the shocks are probably shot.
I would replace the steering stabilizer at the same time, but bear in mind that the steering stabilizer isn't the only thing keeping you from having DW. Check all the bushings and bolts in the front suspension. Make sure your balljoints are good. Check the trackbar for tightness, and make sure that it's bracket is also secure. A trackbar that has been loose for some time will wallow out the holes in the mounts, they will need repaired. DW is caused by a variety of things, usually more than one.
Basically you need to inspect the whole fornt end every once in a while.

check everything.
i'm about to replace the sway bar bushings for the 2nd time on my 2000 XJ, and its got stock front suspension with only 66k on it. sway bar bushings wouldn't cause a death wobble situation, but while you're under there, check them out.

Chux01Cherokee said:
One more thing, aside from the shocks and a solid rear axle, is there anything else in the rear that would cause instability back there?

Thanks, Chuck
Broken leaf in the pack, leaf pack retainers broken or missing, spring perch damage, worn grommets in the shocks. The list is endless, just get back there and tug, push and hit everything you can think of. If it moves and isn't supposed to then figure out why.

Back