• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob's into and planned build-up

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
Noob's into and planned build-up

Just wanted to introduce myself and beg for advice. Last week I purchased a 96 XJ from the local county bus line, used to be one of there supervisors cars. Now of course I need to spend stupidly large amounts of money (J.E.E.P.) so that I can upstage all my friends in there TJ's :)

Anyways, here is my three stage plan on what to do to this rig based on reading the posts here and in other forums. The jeep already has a gas tank skid plate so I'm, planning on just using that until it gets to beet up, then replacing it at that time. Also this jeep will see light DD use, but only short trips 2 or 3 times a week.

Stage 1
TNT Y-Link suspension system
Super Swampers Trxus 33x12.5R15
15x8" 3.75 back spacing steel wheels
A/A SYE $ tom woods CV driveshaft
AJ's rock rails

Stage2
Dana 44 from a 87 XJ <---have sitting in my garage
gears - 4.55
front locker - Lock-Rite
rear locker - Detroit

Stage 3
Trailblazer front bumper from C4x4
Rear bumper and tire carrier also from C4x4
Super winch Epi 9.0

Well, I hope to finish before ten years, (as if a jeep is ever finished) but I do figure it will take awhile. I'm hoping to do it all over the next two years our so. I just don't like to redo things, so I want to avoid doing things like a lift, only to come along a year later and redo it so that I can go higher. Besides I figure I saved so much money by not buying a TJ like most of my friends ($8,000+ in this area) I can afford to splurge a little on the off-road parts. The XJ was under $3,000.

As for tow and skids, The XJ has front tow hooks and a rear hitch receiver from the factory, along with a factory gas tank skid plate. I figured that the T&T Y-link suspension has that nice looking belly pan which works as a transfer case skid, and I would add AJ's rock rails. Is there more then that I should add? The way I figure it, get armor now, so I can spend my money on upgrades later instead of repairs. Well, more of my money on upgrades that is, if you don't break something you weren’t treeing hard enough. :)

Anyways, so is there more armor I should add? Any parts you would recommend over these? Or any just plain “only a noob would think of doing _____ to an XJ!” type mistakes that I am making? I’m trying to keep is mostly bolt on since I’ve never used a welder before. I’m trying to keep my initial upgrades to under $5,000 while making it capable of keeping up with everyone else on the trail.

Back