• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 4.0 Blow by

algeroth79

NAXJA Forum User
I know just reseach this but I have
I have cleaned the valve cover
checked the tubes connected to the valve cover
And I still have the blow by
One guy just stopped by and told me about the leak
and siad it might be the rings.

The questions are the xj is a 1990 non HO 4.0 rebuilt Jasper engine
Do I rebuild this motor? how much?
Do I build a stroker? how much?
Do I swap in HO motor?
DO I try to do a diesel?

Is there any other test I can do to see if it is a cracked ring without having to take the thing apart to visually check.

Thanks in advance

You did not mention how many miles? The rings might just be worn, that does not mean you need to rebuild. When you say you checked the vacuum lines, your sure that the rear-ward one is clear and clean? The CCV grommet on the back of the VC is not plugged?

There are a ton of stroker threads up look around, they seem to be about $1500 but I am sure you could spend alot more and alot less.

To rebuild your dpending on how many miles could be anywhere from $300 to $800. If you just need new rings and new seals then it will be pretty cheap, if you need anything to be machined it will get much more expensive. If I were you I would stay with the Renix motor, I think they are easier to work on. Those prices are if you do it yourself by the way and are just guesstimates

Stroker link
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html

Katarn

With only 50,000 miles you should not have blowby problems, not from the rings anyway. I would definately make sure the CCV system is working properly.

Katarn

thats were I got the idea to clea the valve cover
I checked the ccv system they are clean but I will get new hoses soon
any other ideas

Back