• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Disk E-Brakes on an 8.25

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I have disks on my 8.25 from a ZJ.. I never tackled the e-brake issue and now I want to address it. I have seen this...

DSCN9851.JPG

But the article doesn't mention if the XJ in the write up is lifted. Has anyone done it this way with success on a lifted XJ? Does the cable loop hold the brake hook OK?

How about other methods? I have seen these also...

EC-81FC-lg.jpg

but I would like to see some home fab fixes.

Thanks

I have the Tereflex rear disk kit, which is practically the same, with my 4.5" lift and it didn't really make a difference. I think you'll be able to get it to work if you do the loop method (like in your pic), but the cable will be too long if you decide to use the Lokar adapters (you'll max out the adjustment and still not be able to get the ebrake to grab hard enough). I ended up using the Lokar adapters and their cable set, which is cut to fit.
ebrake3.jpg

ebrake2.jpg

i've got zj discs on my xj d44 and the capacity to hold the vehile on a hill is crap for the little ebrake shoes, so i installed a Hydraulic line lock.. about 30 bucks of parts from Napa

a small 90* turn gate valve and some misc fittings to link it to some cut to length tubing (2 pieces about 18") with fittings
cut the hard-line feeding the rear brakes even with the front of the drivers seat
then bend the and re-flare the cut ends and patch on the 18" extensions and feed them into the cab at your desired location

i put mine just below the t-case shift lever on the trans tunnel where its out of the way but i can easily give it a twist when i want the rear brakes locked.. & usually i give my old e-brake lever a pull just as a reminder that the hydro lock is set. but if i forget the inability to drive away soon reminds me :)

this IsN't the valve i have but its similar and it'll give you some clue as to what i'm babbling about

Air%20shut%20off%20valve%20with%20barb.JPG

JLane99XJ said:
i've got zj discs on my xj d44 and the capacity to hold the vehile on a hill is crap for the little ebrake shoes, so i installed a Hydraulic line lock

Interesting.

I posted a message to the PBB thread for rear disk configs asking if the ZJ ebrake was as good/better/worse than the cadillac ebrake setup and the concensus was that the ZJ set up was better.

You seem to be saying that it isn't all that great though.

Can any one else give real world usage observations on this point?

That is my XJ in the pic. I've got a 4.5" lift. I use shortened YJ e-brake cables. The loop-over works fine. I've haven't had any trouble with it for the two years I've used it.

Back