• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exocage

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
Well, this is what I have so far. Any comments, ?'s, or suggestions are more than welcome. This is my first cage build so I could use the critique. I started yesterday and will continue more work on fri. the 20th. Everything is tacked into place and I have a load of work left to do. It will tie into the inside over the leaf springs also. It is like chess I am starting to realize. I will post more as I get further along. TIA, Sam

DSCF1477.jpg

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1481.jpg

DSCF1482.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg

Last edited:
lookn good i love exos im the process of one right now but i did a full interior roll cage just so i wouldnt hear any crap. front fenders look good thats my plan pretty much but i was gonna run 2 tubes off my rockers following the body lines one on top of fender and one on bottom. then instead of tieing into bumper im want to instead bend a tube to contour under my front radiator and then tie into the other side while somewhere in the mix tieing into front engine bay. then running the standard tube over the cowls to tie in top of fenders

lil' XJ said:
Looks good so far. I am gonna do my front fenders just like that. Where are you a FF @?

I forgot that that sticker was back there. I usually have the windows out so I do not see it that often. I work for Arlington, Tx. fire dept. as a firefighter paramedic. Great proffesion to say the least.

I just cut and bent tube and so far this is what I have come up with. More to come friday night.

do you plan on tieing the roof-x-bars and the rain gutter bars into the Uni-body with some bracketry??
(i would)

and then link the exo to an interior cage at the same points then tie it into the floor sub-uni-body frame

looks good so far tho

Yes, it will take some time, but it will be tied to a some what interior cage. I wanted to save room so that is the main reason for the exo. It will be tied to the uni. through the rockers and through the roof. ait will also be tie to the leaf spring mount front and rear.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
please go through the cab with a B pillar X. I've been waiting to see someone do that, you just need to figure out the weatherproofing... but just do it and figure that out later.

I do not realy care about weather proofing all that much. I do want to keep a majority of it out but, a hole here and there is not an issue.

I also want to be able to take the rear windows out now and then, that is one reason for an exo. The exo will keep trees off my rain gutters along the top of the windows. If I beat on them to much more I will damage the frame of the windows too much to where I cannot put them back in.

I was thinking of an H in the interior tied into the front spring hangers. I never thought of an X. It would be stronger, that is for sure. The only issue I see with that is putting somebody in the back seat. They would have to climb through it. But, who cares, I won't be crawling back there, right. I will definatley give it some more thought when I get to that point.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is the kind of idea I was looking for. Any other thoughts?

Here is some more progress.

JeepLawnMower010.jpg

JeepLawnMower009.jpg

JeepLawnMower008.jpg

JeepLawnMower007.jpg

I have more done but I forgot to put the card in my camera today. When I work on it more monday I will take pics of what is done now and what is done by the end of the day.

It is my first cage build and even though it is time consuming and tedious I am learning alot and having fun with it. I figure by tues It will be ready for paint.

You have quite a long span on the A pillar down bar, what else will be added to it for more support?

There is going to be a tube running across the front windshield to tie the two a pillars together. In front of the door where the a piilar tube and the front fender tube come together there will either be a tube running downt to the top of the rocker or a piece of 3/16 plate that will be cut to fit in the "v" and cover the black fender.

Which do you think would be better, the tube or plate?

afd516 said:
There is going to be a tube running across the front windshield to tie the two a pillars together. In front of the door where the a piilar tube and the front fender tube come together there will either be a tube running downt to the top of the rocker or a piece of 3/16 plate that will be cut to fit in the "v" and cover the black fender.

I think you should do a tube coming off the A-pillar tube going vertically down to the rock rail, and also weld some pieces from that tube to the door hinge mounts to help tie in the uni-body. I'd also take a bunch of plate (3/16?) and tie the outer tube to the rain gutter to also help tie in the uni-body. I think whatever magazing did the exo on the white XJ did this, and I kinda did it on mine too.

what size tube are you using? do you have a rough figure on how much you have used? I have a 2 door just like yours and this summer it will be getting an exo-cage like that. looks good so far, I would use a piece of flat steel the same thickness of the pipe between the fender, door, and A-pillar.

afd516 said:

Tube. A round tube is quite a bit stiffer than a flat plate.

tcfXJwfo said:
what size tube are you using? do you have a rough figure on how much you have used? I have a 2 door just like yours and this summer it will be getting an exo-cage like that. looks good so far, I would use a piece of flat steel the same thickness of the pipe between the fender, door, and A-pillar.

I am using 1.5 dom. Cost is alot less expensive and dom is eisier to get. I will use flat steel in places here and there to gusset the cage. It looks like 150' or 160' of tube. This is going to include tube inside the xj to tie in the rear suspension.

Last edited:
Back