• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backlash and carrier preload

XJeremy23

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found some threads that dabbled around my question but my question is a little specific.
I am doing my first gear setup on my dana 30, but have done lots of research. I set everything up using homemade setup bearings from the old bearings. My pinion depth setup good and pinion preload is beautiful. Using the set up bearings I had my backlash looking good but the carrirer preload a little loose. I checked my pattern and it looked great. Now after having everthing looking great I pulled the setup bearings and placed .004" shims on each side to tighten my preload and pressed on the good bearings. Then when I tapped the carrier back in (bearing preload was pretty tight) the backlash opened up too wide. My backlash was between .0065"-.008" with the setup bearings and now with the good bearings it is .0105"-.012". I know I should take from the side opposite of the ring gear and add the same amount to the ring gear side to tighten backlash and keep preload the same. Does anybody have any suggestions on how much to take out and add to get my backlash to spec.? Also, does anybody know the specs for carrier bearing preload? All of the articles I have read say to just make sure it is a tight fit going back in.

you need to move 1.5 times the amount of change needed. about.
so if you have .12 and you want .08 then you need to move 1.5 times .004" or .006" of shim.

Thanks. Should I keep the carrier preload the same? At first I thought it was too tight. But some say it is hard to get them too tight. And after rotating it around some more it feels pretty good. (I did use lube on the bearings prior to install) But it worried me cause I had to hit it in with a soft faced mallet.

If you can fit a couple more thou into the pack and still get the carrier in then go for it. I generally fit it about as tight as I can. its hard to explain. if you can pull the carrier out with your bare hands then its not tight enough. if you can't put the carrier in even using a big rubber mallet then its to tight.

Back