• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disabling AC in winter -- does yours do this, too?

HAPYMUDY

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else have this issue? Have you been at a red light with your foot lightly on the brake, waiting for your turn to go and then it seems as if the AC kicks in -- and the RPMs go up ever so slightly, but enough to have your Jeep pull forward?

I notice this ONLY happens when the heating/AC switches are set to anything other than off.

My guess is that the AC kicks in for some reason, even when you just have the heat selector on hot.

Anyone? Anyone? Honestly, it seems as if it *could* be a safety issue with the vehicle unexpectedly pulling forward. (Again, ever so slight, and as long as your foot is firmly on the gas, it's not unbearable.)

My question is, is there a way to keep the AC from kicking on and preventing this?

It's done to dry the air for the defrost setting. Warm, dry air = clear windows.

Ah, makes sense! Anyway to keep the AC from kicking on? Obviously, it's beneficial to some degree, then.

But it's annoying to be pulling forward every 15 seconds or so!

HAPYMUDY said:
Ah, makes sense! Anyway to keep the AC from kicking on? Obviously, it's beneficial to some degree, then.

But it's annoying to be pulling forward every 15 seconds or so!

Unplug the AC compressor.

AARON

There is one wire coming out of your compressor, its got a plug on it. Real easy to find... just unplug that, and, voila, problem solved. I do this to mine in the winter for better gas mileage. The windows still defog just fine, just takes about three seconds longer. The only thing I worry about is whether or not this hurts the seals in the compressor. I heard that it needs to be cycled quite often in order to keep the seals lubed up and in good shape. Anyone care to comment on this? I've heard it from two or three people...

try "heat" and "vent"

i bet you $10 it wont come on...

in my 91, my integrated AC switch went out, so now i have a toggle switch, when its on, the AC is on, when its off, The AC is off...

kinda sucks cuse i forget and leave it on too often...

it is good to keep the juices flowing in your ac system from time to time i beleive my chiltons even says something about kicking on the ac in winter every now and then.

Back