• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auburns reputation

ryder

NAXJA Forum User
what is auburn limited slip reputation. everyone so far tells me there bullet proof and a great buy. are they great for off road use i guess is my ultimate question

Has anyone gotten anymore info about the new locking diffs from Auburn? Here is a quote from their web site.

"We are pleased to announce the introduction of our newest product offering – the Auburn Locker for Dana model 30 & 35 axles. These new differentials fit a wide range of vehicles including Jeep, Ford, Dodge, and some earlier Scout II axle applications. The Auburn Locking differential provides the latest in traction technology and enables the driver to select the mode, which best suites the driving conditions. When "off" the Auburn locker functions as a limited slip differential. When the dash-mounted switch is in the "on" mode the differential becomes a locker, which is ideal for the drag strip or off-road terrain.
These new Lockers will be available for shipment in early 2006."

This sounds like an electric locking diff that would not requirer compressor, lines and such. I am thinking this might be the way to go. Any info???

i beleive this article is about the ECTED unit which is NOT a true locker it functions as a limited slip when open but when engaged it forces the clutch packs together very hard makeing it lock up... but it is not 100% locked if you read further i beleive on their website they list the torque bias which means it will hold locked untill it reaches x# of ft lbs. I curently have this locker in my 8.8 and have some doubts about it on the street if i lock it and turn in circles it will chatter (meaning it is slipping) i have never had it not lock on the trail when under heavy right foot. I owe the engineers at auburn another call to find out if harder aplication of the gas forces it to lock harder or not.

It will always function as a good posi as long as the clutches are good. In an extreme situation like tire in the air and heavy throttle, I can see it slipping a little bit. but due to the nature of posi's and how they will allways transfer some power with some resistance on the wheel in the air (like when you push on the brakes to help lock up the posi) then it basically does that for you. so while it takes alot to overcome the holding power of the clutches, its still always going to transfer back to the wheel on the ground at least some percentage of the power. Time to do a writeup on exactly how a limited slip works...

Rawbrown said:
Time to do a writeup on exactly how a limited slip works...
good idea, i will proof read it for you:laugh3:

Back