• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnecting the TCU and shifting manually?

TMNT

NAXJA Forum User
Could this mess anything up by doing this permanently? My tranny is messing up pretty bad...wont shift out of 1st so I figure it is a TCU problem...or atleast thats where I am going to start the diagnose. fluid and filter are fine.

So I think I got that under control but the thought of controlling the shifts manually (I love manual vehicles) would be cool. So can I do this and not mess anything up. This might sound like a dumb question but I just want to make sure before I disconnect the TCU (fuse).

-Dillon

apparently I'm quite wrong. Sorry about that. I guess my understanding of the AW4 is wrong.

So I got to the TCU and found this. It looks like someone hacked it up? Or does this look correct? Seems to be alot of electrical tape around the wires and doesnt look like the factory. The red 10V fuse....is that the one I remove? I thought it was suppose to be 15V? The red fuse is not blown. So how do I make it shift manually? sorry for all the questions.

TCU3.jpg

TCU2.jpg

TCU.jpg

thanks!

-Dillon

well I did it and drove it around for a few minutes getting it up to about 70 and going through 1-D and it shifts fine...so I guess its a bad TCU?

-Dillon

TMNT said:
well I did it and drove it around for a few minutes getting it up to about 70 and going through 1-D and it shifts fine...so I guess its a bad TCU?

-Dillon
Or one of the inputs the TCU needs to shift, mainly the TPS input.

good good...I was just sweating it thinking about having to put another transmission in it...thanks for your help.

-Dillon

i guess you were too lazy to follow the link so here it is all spelled out for ya.
now when ya pull the pan don't forget to put atf back in afterwards:kissyou: also check all connections from the tranny to the tcu.

pull the cover pull the filter check resistance on solenoids should abe 11-15ohms (99% sure on the resistance numbers may want to double check that) slipping isn't usualy a sign of bad solenoids unless they are sticking it in 4th or something. try pulling the fuse for the tcu and driving it with the shift lever 1-2,3,d there will be not tc lockup but these gears should feel firm as you shift thru them. rember it's like driving a manual so don't try to take off in d or cruize in 1 with the fuse pulled.

Back