• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my 2" RE kit ordered..now for tires.

XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Before I start, yes I searched for info on this. 15-20 somethin pages and barely found anything. I know a 31x10.5 will fit with a 2" kit so im not really worried about the fit and how it will stuff when flexing because Im keeping the swaybars on since I dont do much wheelin besides a few hunting trips.

Went to Outback Offroad (local offroad shop) and ordered a 2" RE kit today. $255 later and its on its way. Im lookin at 3 different tires in several sizes. Swamper Radial 30x10.5 or 31x9.5, ProComp XT 31x10.5, ProComp MT 30x9.5 or 31x10.5. The lady at Outback said she has been running ProComp XTs for about a year including several trips to and from Moab with hardly any sign of wear on the tires so thats a plus but what I wanna know is how long would a set of swamper radials last on a DD? Either way I am gonna wait untill about march or so incase I decide to buy procomps because they are supposed to be starting the buy 3 get 1 free sale again soon.

if you want to run a 10.50 tire, you'll need rims with a different backspacing or at least wheel spacers to bump out those stock rims. any tire thats 10.50 wide, will rub with stock cherokee wheels on it. some 9.50s rub on the LCAs with stock rims.

i'd stick with something everyone's got, or at least, every tire shop can get in short order. something like goodyear or BFgoodrich. any tire shop, don't care where it is, can get them quick if they don't have them in stock.
i got goodyears on my XJ because i didn't want to destroy a tire (get a bad cut offroad, get one of my tires slashed, defect...) and have to wait a long time until a new tire came into whatever shop was putting the tire on.

The wheels I have on it arent stock, I dont know the back spacing but they are 15x7s off a buddy of mine's XJ. I cant remember exactly what year model it was, it was either a '99, '00 or '01 model. I'll post a pic of them if I can find one.

cleantires.jpg

that IS a stock, factory XJ rim, used in the mid 90s until the end of the XJ in 2001. to my knowledge, any factory XJ wheel (regardless of vintage) won't accomodate a 10.50 tire without rubbing on the control arms.
that wheel is what i have, a 15x7. i don't know the backspacing of mine either, but i do know that i come MIGHTY close to rubbing the lower control arms with 9.50 tires on it. was just as close with the 3.5 inch coils i had on it (for all of a day) and with the stock coils in it.
flexinview55xu.jpg

this is sort of off topic, but when the liberty came out, i got a liberty center cap off of my sister's liberty and tried it on my XJ rim. they fit. i went to the dealer and paid 17 each for liberty center caps. sets can now be found on ebay for much cheaper.
maybe a wrangler 15x8 wheel (87-present day) or a jeep grand cherokee (93-98) wheel also in 15x8 would accomodate a 10.50 better. i've seen the canyon style grand cherokee/wrangler rim (never offeredon the XJ, but fits) in 15x8 stick out slightly father than stock. the ravine wheel used on the most recent TJs do not stick out any further than stock.

XJ4x4 said:
Yup, that's a stock XJ rim. 5 on 4.5" bolt circle, it's a 15x7" rim with the 5.25" backspace common to most Jeep rims.

A 10.5 will fit fine on a stock rim. Either let it rub on the lca or adjust the steering stops a little. JIM.

Back