• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what cat back?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i want to get a cat back exhaust but dont want to spend a $300
right now i have an old flowmaster(really old) sounds kinda funky on the jeep plus i broke off a lot of the pipe when i was relocating it cause my shackles got in the way. i have a 91 limited 4.0HO 4wd. so what are your opinions?

So let get this straight. You want a good cat back system but dont want to spend the money?

well ok maybe i will spend the money. what would you choose if you were bill gates? or what would you choose if you were 16 and dont have a job youre just making money doing oddjobs for people that live near you and have some cash saved up but still need to get a starter and crossmember and alternator just to get it to run? i was just wondering if there is someone that has a quality and nice sounding exhaust for fairly cheap.

cool im thinkin about the rustys 40 series delta with pipes and everything i want it loud!! im thinkin that will be pretty loud because they say so.

Shomsky462 said:
or what would you choose if you were 16 and dont have a job youre just making money doing oddjobs for people that live near you and have some cash saved up but still need to get a starter and crossmember and alternator just to get it to run?

I would buy a starter and crossmember and alternator.

i know i have already bought the crossmember and the alternator i need to buy from 90xjDave and i have to install the solenoid i bought. but i was making the point that i had to buy other stuff so i could get it to run and byt he time i had bought all that stuff i kinda was runnin short on money but yeah getting it to run is a good idea. but when it does run i want it to sound good.

Dynomax cat-back from summit racing. They had one of the best prices, and if I remember right- free shipping. I got this system and a hi-flow cat from them.

The exhaust is good for the $$. It fits nice, sound is mellow, and has a stainless tip. I have read reviews of the dynomax mufflers and they are some of the best flowing out there. Im happy with it.

I also ran the system on my old ranger for approx 3 years with no issues.

Shomsky462 said:
i know i have already bought the crossmember and the alternator i need to buy from 90xjDave and i have to install the solenoid i bought. but i was making the point that i had to buy other stuff so i could get it to run and byt he time i had bought all that stuff i kinda was runnin short on money but yeah getting it to run is a good idea. but when it does run i want it to sound good.

Heres an idea, save some more money and get a nice setup..............:dunno:

jayuu said:
hack it off behind the cat, punch out the catalyst(optional) and throw on a cherry bomb glasspack. $20-$30 add a turndown pipe if wanted.

I left my cat intact, but put on a 18" Glass back and walla.......

Shomsky462 said:
or what would you choose if you were 16 and dont have a job youre just making money doing oddjobs for people that live near you and have some cash saved up but still need to get a starter and crossmember and alternator just to get it to run?

Holy run on sentence lol!

I bought a glasspack which replaces the stock muffler. Sounds pretty good. I would like to get a flowmaster tho. :)

Scott

91 Jeep Project said:
Don't listen to Justin, his Jeep sounds like shit........... :shhh:

Thats just cause I actually wheel mine and the cat is banged up, the glass pack as a nice dent in it, and the tail pipe is crushed. :looser:

Silent said:
Can anyone tell me what a high flow cat is supposed to do for you. Please explain, thanks.

Silent

Don't expect great numbers (hp & tq) with a high flow cat.
Anyway, the high flow cat is less restrictive (sp?) than a normal cat. It should do nothing more than that, let the exhaust fumes flow flawlessly.

That's it

HotChiliRam said:
Don't expect great numbers (hp & tq) with a high flow cat.
Anyway, the high flow cat is less restrictive (sp?) than a normal cat. It should do nothing more than that, let the exhaust fumes flow flawlessly.

That's it

also be carefull on how open you make the exhaust. The right amount of backpressure is crucial on the 4.0L. if you open the flow up to much you will actually see a decrease in performance.

Sorry for hijacking thread. I shouls have said that with my first post. Would the Dynomax Turbo Cat Back mentioned earlier in this thread from summit and a magnaflow 91006 work well. I no nothing about back pressure. So will these work? I have a 95 XJ 4.0 HO stock sport 4 dr. If that helps.

Thanks,
Silent

Back