• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diferential Upgrades

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ive been reading a little (you know webwheeling) and am going to be purchasing ring and pinion, bearings, shims, and seals here soon - and was wondering on a few things -

Cryo-Treated ring and pinion -
Is the advantage to cryo-treating a R+P really worth it? Anyone blown a HP front D44/Ford 9 R+P with a stock 4.0L and a 231? Is there enough concern to warant another 130.00 or so? (both sets)

Crush Sleve Eliminator-
the Dana 44 uses a solid spacer making a trail side pinion yoke fix a lot easier (Provided that CRASH didnt use too much locktite on the splines of the yoke).
Is it worth looking into one of these for a ford 9"?

Bearings and seals -
Timken bearins and National Seals seem to be the "top end" - anything in particular to avoid - anyone else to look for?

Carrier -
Other than a carrier replacement locker - are there stronger carriers that can be purchased? - anytihng to avoid here? (I need a new carrier because the case change in the Dana 44)

thoughts? Discussion?

XJ_ranger said:
Cryo-Treated ring and pinion -
Is the advantage to cryo-treating a R+P really worth it? Anyone blown a HP front D44/Ford 9 R+P with a stock 4.0L and a 231? Is there enough concern to warant another 130.00 or so? (both sets)

Wouldn't bother. I have seen only one or two 9" R&P fail and they were on 300,000+ mile ranch rigs.

XJ_ranger said:
Crush Sleve Eliminator-
the Dana 44 uses a solid spacer making a trail side pinion yoke fix a lot easier (Provided that CRASH didnt use too much locktite on the splines of the yoke).
Is it worth looking into one of these for a ford 9"?

D44 doesn't have a sleeve, there is a step on the pinion shaft. Personally I hate crush sleeves and swap them out of everything I can. Though the only real drawback to a crush sleeve is if you hit the yoke just right it can change the preload on the bearings. I've only ever seen that happen once.

XJ_ranger said:
Bearings and seals -
Timken bearins and National Seals seem to be the "top end" - anything in particular to avoid - anyone else to look for?

Almost all of the major gear vendors put Timken bearings and good quality seals in their kits. I think even Genuine crap does.

XJ_ranger said:
Carrier -
Other than a carrier replacement locker - are there stronger carriers that can be purchased? - anytihng to avoid here? (I need a new carrier because the case change in the Dana 44)

If your just buying an open carrie it doesn't matter. I've always ended up with spicers and never even asked the brand. If your planning on using a lunch box locker make sure and get a hardened cross shaft and make sure you get new thrust washers that go behind the side gears. To cheap not to change.

I'd definately replace the crush sleeve, with that low 9" pinion cutting trenches in your favorite trails, you'll want all the reliability you can get.

Can the crush sleeve be replaced with shims in the 8.25?

Lincoln said:
If your planning on using a lunch box locker make sure you get new thrust washers that go behind the side gears. To cheap not to change.

Now you have me thinking... I installed a Powertrax No-Slip into a gutted D44 Trac-Lok carrier a few weeks ago (not installed in an axle yet) and the directions called for removing the thrust washers but never mentioned re-installing them. It seemed strange to me that they wouldn't get re-installed, but I also realize that the lunchbox lockers are sensitive to the end play dimension for proper operation. I wonder if they should actually go in.

i put mine back in i do believe

I ran mine without, ran fine. As long as your check block fits right you shouldn't have a problem.

CRASH said:
I'd definately replace the crush sleeve, with that low 9" pinion cutting trenches in your favorite trails, you'll want all the reliability you can get.

i know you were looking for an 8.8 crush sleve eliminator -
found one looking for the 9 -
http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/SVO4662_A

still looking for one for the 9....

CRASH said:
Great, I'll buy it, you can come and install it for me. Randy's has them for the 9.

id love to help you - but wont be home again till mid march...

XJ_ranger said:
id love to help you - but wont be home again till mid march...

It's OK, I'll still be working on the winter upgrades in March. Maybe on into June.

The "simple" transfer case install has become a Sawzall festival.

Lawn Cher' said:
Now you have me thinking... I installed a Powertrax No-Slip into a gutted D44 Trac-Lok carrier a few weeks ago (not installed in an axle yet) and the directions called for removing the thrust washers but never mentioned re-installing them. It seemed strange to me that they wouldn't get re-installed, but I also realize that the lunchbox lockers are sensitive to the end play dimension for proper operation. I wonder if they should actually go in.

My 8.25 ran without them with a no-slip. I've seen others run with them. It seems to be a fitment thing.

Back