• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd gear in 4 low??

I use 3rd gear (drive) in 4 low all the time. It take much too long to stop and shift in and out of 4 low repeatedly. Whines a little, but with the automatic I can't select 2nd gear...which is what I really want most of the time.

jeephick85 said:
OKAY OKAY but it can be done without burning stuff up?? JAY

Short of installing the AW Shifter conversions, it's possible to get it to go into second - but only if you downshift from 3 to 1-2.

- Put shift lever in 3.
- With the tranny (not just the shifter, the tranny itself) in third gear, downshift to the 1-2 position.
- Second gear will engage and be held until engine speed falls low enough to shift back into 1st.

Be prepared for the neck snap when it does the drop from second into first.

casm said:
Short of installing the AW Shifter conversions, it's possible to get it to go into second - but only if you downshift from 3 to 1-2.QUOTE]

Go Jeep's site has an article on locking the AW4 in second gear. It requires some simple wiring and a switch. The AW Shifter allow you to lock the trans in any gear but for most of us, being able to lock it in second gear is all you need.
See
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm

Hijacking an old thread.

Can somebody give me a clear cut answer...

Is it safe to use the "3rd" gear from startup on a AW4?
Is it safe to shift from 1-2 to 3?

uvaldetxj said:
Is it safe to use the "3rd" gear from startup on a AW4?
Is it safe to shift from 1-2 to 3?

Yes on both. In the '3' position it'll actually start in first, shift up through second, then into third. It's only the overdrive fourth gear that it won't go into. Totally different from a manual where you'd be taking off in third. FWIW, you're OK doing this regardless of which range you've got the transfer case in.

Last edited:
You can run the tranny in any gear you wish when in 2H 4H, or 4L . It's makes no difference to it, it's before the transfer case. Also you can drive any speed (that is safe of corse) in any of the T/C positions (and of corse as long as the surface is loose enough for 4x4) too. However your not going to get much faster that about 45/50mph in 4L because of the moters rev limiter.

Back