• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter

churky89

NAXJA Forum User
89'XJ
AW4 auto
4x4
Shifter moves with no effort,but can engage the trans with the "nub on the right side of the tranny,but doesn't seem to smart to do this if I'm under the vehicle....Could this be a cable linkage problem...please say yes :laugh3:
NSS is working because the vehicle won't start in anything but park/neutral.....I gott "get er done"so I can get to da work......

No,I still have to push the button on the shifter to get it outta park....once it is outta park there is no resistance what soever....I can go from rev all the way to 1 and the trans WILL NOT ENGAGE....Like I said...I can turn the detent on the right side of the trans and it will go in gear that way.That's why I asked if there was a cable involved in getting it into gear....I'm stumped n pizzed at the same time :mad:

I believe it's a rod link. Have you pulled the shifter bezel? -- pops straight up. Maybe the rod has disconnected from the shifter. If I remember correctly it's a plastic connector from the rod to the shifter--cracked?

walllllllllllllllllllaI got the sucker fixed n the best part it didn't cost no $$$$$$$$$$$$$
There is a cable that hooks to a bracket on the left side....cable with plastic keeper? had came off.....lined it up w/the shifter and presto chango I'm back on da road....funny part...I had discoed the trans puter to see if that was the
prob......fergot to hook it back up.....you have to shift it manually if you do this.......but any way it is fixed :yelclap:

Just outta curiosity...anybody know what this cable is called.....???Just in case I need to get one.....

All the AW4 shifters I've seen are cable-actuated - so it would properly be a "shifter" cable, and not a "kickdown" cable (which is the old way to downshift by flooring the accelerator.)

If I get a PM asking me nicely, I might be inclined to look the thing up in OEMR catalogues. If I have the catalogue for that year, I might even give with the OEMR part number...

5-90

Back