• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover seals poorly, any alternative to OEM replacement?

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Cherokee model years 1991-1993 seem to have no available aftermarket valve covers. Is there a known 92-compatible aftermarket valve cover with twist-in CCV elbows, for another AMC I6 application? I'm loathing buying a OEM cover for $180, but I loathe my greaseball engine even more.

My 92's curvaceous old valve cover can't keep a seal, even after a Fel-Pro gasket, double buttering with RTV and seasoning with tons of !@#$%. Its been about 5000 miles since the regasket, and oil the seepage continues. I checked it for flatness at the last R and R. I did find warpage, but it seemed tolerable. I was wrong. Thus my name, Drip.

it's warped and not sealing. seems to me ya need a new valve cover (if that's whats warped) go to the junkyard and get one reinstall with new gasket and you sould be good to go

92DripCherokee said:
Cherokee model years 1991-1993 seem to have no available aftermarket valve covers. Is there a known 92-compatible aftermarket valve cover with twist-in CCV elbows, for another AMC I6 application? I'm loathing buying a OEM cover for $180, but I loathe my greaseball engine even more.

My 92's curvaceous old valve cover can't keep a seal, even after a Fel-Pro gasket, double buttering with RTV and seasoning with tons of !@#$%. Its been about 5000 miles since the regasket, and oil the seepage continues. I checked it for flatness at the last R and R. I did find warpage, but it seemed tolerable. I was wrong. Thus my name, Drip.

Any 4.0L valve cover will fit on a 4.0L, you just will have to modify the vacuum and fresh air hoses to fit. The 96-up stamped steel valve covers have a reusable gasket (also two head bolts with dowels to align it which could be added) but it will only fit these unless you modify the aluminum one. Quadra-Tec sells a aluminum valve cover that uses the reuseable gasket (can't find it on their site right now, search sucks, call them). Found them. Just get the later grommets and fittings to put it on yours.

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=51104+08+07&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2006011523274187

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=51104+09+07&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2006011523274187

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=51104+07+07&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2006011523274187

Mike R

Last edited:
Good advice, and it befits my Jeep, since it is my mobile junkyard! I would head right for a junk part, but I fear all used 4.0 sandcast valve covers have some amount of warpage from repeated heating/cooling cycles.

If I go with any other XJ year range for a used valve cover, my new CCV rigging wont transplant over. For a while I've tried to stop the bleeding by throwing more parts at it, but its getting alarmingly expensive now.

That's what runs all of us out of this game, the cost of repairs.

92DripCherokee said:
Good advice, and it befits my Jeep, since it is my mobile junkyard! I would head right for a junk part, but I fear all used 4.0 sandcast valve covers have some amount of warpage from repeated heating/cooling cycles.

If I go with any other XJ year range for a used valve cover, my new CCV rigging wont transplant over. For a while I've tried to stop the bleeding by throwing more parts at it, but its getting alarmingly expensive now.

That's what runs all of us out of this game, the cost of repairs.

The hose connection size should be the same, just the fittings in the valve cover and grommets for them.

Mike R

Back