• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problems, some help needed from the experts

walton99

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys, I've gone through 2 transmissions in the past year and I need your expertise. My '01 XJ has just shy of 100K miles on it. This past June I noticed a tranny fluid leak and found out that my tranny case had a huge crack in it, running from the top of the bell housing all the way down to the pan on the driver's side. Last night I noticed a spot under the Jeep so I jumped under there and guess what, I've managed to crack another one, this time from the pan on the pass side, through the nss grommet, and up as far as I can see. What the heck is going on here? My motor is basically stock except for a few bolt on mods so I'm not producing monsterous amounts of torque and my motor and tranny mounts look to be in good shape. I'm thinking of ditching the whole tranny and going with a TH400, but that'll open up a whole other can of worms for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jeramy

01XJ, HP44, 9", 5.13's, 36" Irok's

Last edited:
Check your motor mounts. If they are worn out, the motor will jump all over under the hood and could lead to your problem. You say they are in good shape, so install a limiting chain from the trac bar mount to the motor mount bolt to control the jerk of the motor.

Back