• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak dye

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, i have oil leaks.

i changed my valve cover gasket, rear main and pan gasket. The drivers side of the engine is completely dry the passenger side is soaked. I degreased the engine a while back and that's how i found out the rear main was bad. I now think/hope that my oil pressure sending unit is leaking (17 bucks at auto zone) I plan on buying the dye you put in the oil and use a light to see where the leak is, I'm just curious if anyone has experience with it and if there are any tips on using it you could pass on. such as how long do i let it run before looking at the dye so it doesn't just go everywhere and i cant tell where its coming from. or if i need to change the oil afterwards. and just in general how it worked

TIA

degrease the engine well before use.
Have you replaced the o-rings on the oil filter adapter? That's another common leaking point. It can seem like a rear main, I was sure my rear-main was leaking, but itwas the adapter.

no i haven't, ssems like a good idea too thanks

I'd do that. When I bought my MJ the passenger side was covered in oil. I degreased it, tried finding the leak. It just kind of seeps out of the adapter when it's hot. Mine wasn't a constant leak, just when it was hot, and somebody stepped on the gas to get the oil pressure up. Before looking harder I was sure I had a rear main leak, that's where all the oil ended up.

its strange it only seems to leak bad when i shut it off, i mean it leaks when driving to the point where when i stop at a red light i can see smoke from it hitting the exhaust, but if i leave it idle in a drive way i get no drips until i shut it off then i get drips, and the harder i drive it the more it leaks

funvtec said:
its strange it only seems to leak bad when i shut it off, i mean it leaks when driving to the point where when i stop at a red light i can see smoke from it hitting the exhaust, but if i leave it idle in a drive way i get no drips until i shut it off then i get drips, and the harder i drive it the more it leaks

sounds like mine..minus the smoke~

What I thought was a rear main seal was the oil filter adapter and a small spot in the passenger side back of the Valve cover gasket. I had the same smoke at the light problem.

Back