• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Chain

Running-Snail

NAXJA Forum User
89 Limited; 7-18-88 NP 242 w/ AW4. This is a daily driver

I think my drive chain is too loose. I can hear it (turning front drive shaft by hand) rubbing against the inside of the case going in either direction. When driving in 4WD there is a loud pop coming from the TC (I think). U-joints replaced - all good there.

Can I pull the cover to inspect without pulling the TC?

Can I replace the chain without pulling the TC?

I've searched on this and found an answer before, but am having no luck now. (I'm not sure what word combination I was using.)

Help anyone?

bummer. i think you can pull the rear half to look at the chain. when does it make this sound? is there any popping? You can usually check by putting it into 4h or 4l and gassing on it while holding the brakes. good luck.

this is where i got my chain from. they got it here pretty quick and cheap.
http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/87_565

yes that is the chain. good diagnosis on the problem. You will need toreplace it. but brfore you do fix the TC fluid leaks brfore youput the new chain in, or in several hundred miles you will be needing a new chain again

Back