• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ to MJ D44 differences

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Was there any other differences between the D44 on the XJ or the MJ apart from the brackets? I am getting a bare housing anyway and fitting my new spring perches and higher shock mounts but thought I read some where that the MJ housing tubes were either bigger or thicker than the XJ version but both are the same width overall? Was not well written so they might have been referring to there old axle housing??
Also, I know there is a 19 mm difference in pinion length between a D44 and a D35 but wanted to know how much, if any, the pinion height varies so I can calculate my drive shaft length. Anyone know or is it too minor to worry about?

Other than the spring perch width difference and the lack of shock mounts, I beleive everything else is the same. There is a difference in the center casting, 1 rib or 2 but all internals are the same. Likewise, axles, and brakes interchange but some had 1 3/4" and others 2 1/2" brakes?? Even some tow pkg had the 1 3/4" brakes - Its a Jeep!

The housing tubes are the same diameter XJ vs. MJ. The width is the same also.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Just wanted to know after reading about it but could not tell if he was comparing between these two or the D35 he had in there. Already knew the axle tube difference between the D44 and the D35 though.

Back