• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 4.0 into '91-'95, any problems?

Avanteone

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question, will a '97 4.0 go into a '91-'95 rig without any problems? The wrecking yards show the interchange from '91-'95, and then like '96-'98 or something. I'm assuming intakes, sensors, etc. are different. Will the '91-'95 intake and everything bolt onto the '97 without other issues? I've got a '97 motor I'm selling and guys /w '91 and '93 rigs interested.

Thanks, John

XgeekstarX said:
the 97 motor is OBDII and the 91-95 is OBDI

Motor has nothing to do /w OBD II. That is all in the computer, emisisons controls, etc. I want to know if the LONG BLOCK is the same. Intake/exhaust manifold, all sensors, etc. would be reused from the existing motor.

J

I know that the older motors had the temp sensor in the head right in the top at the back of the intake. I can't remember if the newer motors have a removable plug there or not. Everything else should be a bolt in if you change the manifolds over.

I've done it. not hard at all. My 97 motor didn't have the temp sensor in the head (none do) so I drilled and tapped the tstat housing and put it in there. Other than that swap stuff from your old mani on the new and you will be good. If you want the indepth detail send a pm.

Nah, that's all I needed to know. I know you can't bolt HO intake to '87-'90 head, just wanted to make sure nothing like that was going on here.

I've sold the motor to a guy, and gonna do the install too.

Thank again.

John

Back