• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Balljoints

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of replacing the balljoints and i cant get the steering knuckle off. Will it hurt anything if i heat the knuckle some to try and get it off? Also whenever i took out the passenger side driveshaft (have to replace u-joints as well) I noticed there is a pretty nice size groove in the shaft towards the splines. Its probably 1 1/2" long and probably a mm or 2 deep. I would be willing to bet that this isn't normal wear. What could it be from and should i replace the shaft?

Also, can i replace the 7mm hex bolts with regular grade 5 or 8 bolts? Its such a PITA b/c they are stripped out i have to use a pipe wrench or some vise grips. Anyone know the dimensions off hand of the bolt so i can pick some up?

Im in the process of replacing the balljoints and i cant get the steering knuckle off. Will it hurt anything if i heat the knuckle some to try and get it off?

get 2 good size hammers. i used a 2 pound hammer and a big sledge hammer and then place the 2# hammer on the top of the knuckle. if you look, there is a little flat spot that's perfect for setting the hammer on. and then you take the big slegehammer and hit the other hammer. you don't have to do a full swing, but give it a little more than a "love tap". think it took me about 10 smacks and then the knuckle just fell off. it's easier if you have somebody to hold one of the hammers for you.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip. i was beating on that flatspot with a 2# sledge for about a half hour :) I'll try your method, if that still doesn't work i'll resort to heating.

MudslinginXJ said:
Also, can i replace the 7mm hex bolts with regular grade 5 or 8 bolts? Its such a PITA b/c they are stripped out i have to use a pipe wrench or some vise grips. Anyone know the dimensions off hand of the bolt so i can pick some up?

Sorry didn't specify, i was talking about the 7mm caliper hex bolts. Any problem replacing those with a regular bolt?

Also, is this axle junk because of that groove? I should have pictures up for reference tomorrow, its to late for them now.

Anyone else care to offer some insight that will make this removal/installation easier? I got the knuckle off, is there anything i have to do before these are pressed out?

Getting the knuckle off was the hard part for me. The rest of it will just take a little patience. You may need a breaker bar for the press. Don't forget to fill the lower ball joints with good grease using the angle zerk before you install them, then plug them back up and stick the zerk in a drawer somewhere. When pressing the new joints in, keep an eye on them and make sure they are going in straight. Saftey goggles would be wise while doing the presswork. Sorry can't help with the bolts or driveshaft, but you might try a search on the bolts to find the dimensions.

what balljoint removal/install tool are you using? i used the autozone tool and it worked great for removing them. the bottom one went in real nice too but it's useless for the upper unless you have the right adapter. i tried putting it in just with the tool and it went in crooked. i found a "master balljoint adapter set" at harbor freight for about $99 that had the specific jeep adapter in it and after that it went flawless. or see if you can borrow the correct adapter from somebody. none of the parts stores around here carried those parts other than harbor freight. there is a pretty good writeup on balljoints here. www.madxj.com

he is using adjustable balljoints, but other than that the removal/install is the same.

I was able to get the balljoints out, i had to heat up the area around them since they were gulded a little bit. Also b/c i was using a ratchet (dont have access to air tools yet) So heating was necessary. Once i did that they practically fell out. Tomorrow will be installation since i ran out of daylight again and it was freezing/raining. Might try to heat it up again to make installation easier. Will try without heat first.

One other thing. When pressing them in, crank on the press with 1/2 socket wrench. Once they seam to be seized in, rap the knuckle with a hammer to relieve the stress, and you will get another 1/4 turn. repeat.

Back