• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serious trouble, need help fast!

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
I was muddin' yesterday after putting my new set of tires on my jeep, and afterwards the jeep wouldnt go back into 2WD and was stuck in part time 4WD. i started heading home and it was doing this really strange chirping brake thing where it seemed like the vehicle was trying to stop itself and the wheels would shimmy, i couldnt get it over maybe 7-8 miles an hour. i hobbled it back to my friends house and now its sitting there undrivable. Anyone heared of anything like this at all? please, please help me figure this out, i plan on taking it to the mechanic on thursday but i would like to know what is wrong first so they dont try and rip me off.
Thanks,
Adam

Once you hit pavement in part-time 4WD, your system was fighting itself. Count yourself lucky that nothing broke.

In trying to get back into 2WD did you try backing up, and/or driving in circles (on dirt) to try to get it to release and shift back to 2WD?

Did the lever move and the transfer case not respond, or was the lever stuck in 4WD? Is it currently stuck in low range or high range?

OK,first off..is it a 231 or 242? I'm guessing 231,mainly because that's the only one I know anything about :D Try this:
1) NEVER,and I mean NEVER-EVER-EVER! drive it in 4X4 on pavement!
2) Start the vehicle,put it in gear (doesn't matter--either reverse or drive)
3) Let the vehicle move under it's own power for a few feet and slide it into neutral and let it coast a few feet.
4) While it's coasting in neutral,move the 4X4 lever forward to the apropriate gear-2 HI. It may have a *slight* grinding noise when moving the shifter through the gear selection,this is normal.

It takes a little timing and practice to get used to it,but it will get easier as you do it more often. If this doesn't work,or it feels as though the shifter isn't doing anything at all,check the shifter linkages to make sure they are still connected to the shifter as well as the transfer case. Good luck with it!

Since you were "muddin",did you look to see if your linkage was clear?

Beez you took the words right outa my mouth...I had problems with my linkage, the linkage bar that connects your Transfer case to the lever inside the cab is held on by a rubber grommet. Crawl under and look at the linkage while someone moves the transfer case lever.

Back