• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case removal

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Need to replace my t-case, but having never done this before, how do I do this? what do I need to watch out for? Pics and/or write up would be greatly appreciated.
thx

cykaaro said:
Need to replace my t-case, but having never done this before, how do I do this? what do I need to watch out for? Pics and/or write up would be greatly appreciated.
thx
unbolt the linkage, unplug the speedo gear and sensor, disconnect the vent, remove the driveshafts, drain the fluid, unbolt the 6 bolts and slide it off the splined shaft.

Thanks! Have never dealt with this, so just want to make sure I do it right. Going to pull it tomorrow morning, and once switched, crack mine open, and hopefullly rebuild it so I have a spare.

Kejtar said:
unbolt the linkage, unplug the speedo gear and sensor, disconnect the vent, remove the driveshafts, drain the fluid, unbolt the 6 bolts and slide it off the splined shaft.

You can pop the linkage out of the plastic bushing, you will need to remove the crossmember and trans mount to get to the bottom nut, it's easier to get to the top ones by lowering the trans/t-case with a jack, and you'll need a stubby 14mm to get the one nut on the right side due to the exhaust pipe.

Mike R

I've got the t-case/tranny lowered already, The front DS is gone, so just have to remove the back.

Where the linkage connects looks like it's got some metal bracket that goes over top of where it bolts on? Does that just unbolt each side and come off? Was able to see the side bolt but not the top ones?? This is what has me confused.

two upper bolts on the drivers side also hold the bracket for the linkage there are a total of 6 bolts.

cykaaro said:
I've got the t-case/tranny lowered already, The front DS is gone, so just have to remove the back.

Where the linkage connects looks like it's got some metal bracket that goes over top of where it bolts on? Does that just unbolt each side and come off? Was able to see the side bolt but not the top ones?? This is what has me confused.

Don't need to take the bracket off just use a prybar to pop the linkage free at the t-case lever (on t-case).

Mike R

If you haven’t got it out already, the top two nuts on the t-case are a pain. I ended up using a shorty gear wrench to be able to reach them. I had to use a pry bar on the wrench to break the nuts loose. After that every thing went pretty easy.

Got it out today, although it was damn cold out!!
Don't have any short wrenches, so looking up though, 'self, what if i can pop that little panel there and get in from above?'
So I ripped out the center column, unbolted the shifter from the floor, and voila!! A nice hole to work from!. Made the top tow bolts a snap!. Other than that, just had to lower down the jack on the t-case a wee bit and it slid right off!. Kept the yoke for the rear drive shafts and both u-joints as they were all good, and always good to have a spare. Just in case!

Thanks for the help!. Now to get mine out, and hopefully this one will fit in without problems. Grabbed the owners manual and paperwork. According to what's written, it's exactly one month younger than mine so hoping it'll bolt straight in!

Back