• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug Nut / Bolt Question for Wheels Question

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
Make a long story short, I had TJ Canyon wheels put on my 94 XJ about a month ago. Tonight I started to here a clunking noise coming from the back right wheel only to find that 2 lug nuts were not there and 2 others were loose, leaving only 1 lug nut tight.

My question is... do I need different lug nuts because I'm switching wheels, or is the mechanic just an idiot?

I have heard that maybe the depth or the size of the wheel may be a factor if the stock lug nuts are too short or small??

Let me know guys!

Ghetto2315 said:
Make a long story short, I had TJ Canyon wheels put on my 94 XJ about a month ago. Tonight I started to here a clunking noise coming from the back right wheel only to find that 2 lug nuts were not there and 2 others were loose, leaving only 1 lug nut tight.

My question is... do I need different lug nuts because I'm switching wheels, or is the mechanic just an idiot?

I have heard that maybe the depth or the size of the wheel may be a factor if the stock lug nuts are too short or small??

Let me know guys!

Did you retighten the lugnuts after driving a bit? THeoretically you're supposed to do that so many miles after install (100? or something like that). Also how tight did you get them before? IIRC the spec is 80ft lbs through 100 or something like that (I torque mine to 85 ft lbs when I have a torque wrench handy). Also was the rim seated right?

I did not retighten at all becuase after the mechanic had put on the new TJ Canyon wheels, I pretty much have not even driven more than 100 miles.

I'm not sure how tight the mechanic tighten them, but the other 3 wheels seem to be on damn tight...

Are the lug nuts on the XJ universal or do I have to get them from the dealership??

Ghetto2315 said:
I did not retighten at all becuase after the mechanic had put on the new TJ Canyon wheels, I pretty much have not even driven more than 100 miles.

I'm not sure how tight the mechanic tighten them, but the other 3 wheels seem to be on damn tight...

Are the lug nuts on the XJ universal or do I have to get them from the dealership??
my last set of lugnuts I got from Kragen. I recomend Acorn: they seem to be holding up pretty good. Oh yeah, a damn tight is not necessarily how tight you want the wheels to be. A good tire shop will use a torque wrench to tighten the lugnuts.

Kejtar said:
my last set of lugnuts I got from Kragen. I recomend Acorn: they seem to be holding up pretty good. Oh yeah, a damn tight is not necessarily how tight you want the wheels to be. A good tire shop will use a torque wrench to tighten the lugnuts.

Where did you get the Kragen from and how much?

Kragen's is a shop, not a brand. They might not exist out by you - they're Checker, Schuck's, and Kragen's (all under Northern Automotive.) You might have to settle for an Autozone, a NAPA, or some mom-and-pop outfit.

Not that that's a bad thing - but DO look at the nuts before you plunk down your cash. If they look like they're "capped" (sheetmetal cap over a solid core,) ask for something else. Those caps come off with time.

A common brand is SuperNuts - they should go for $6-8 for four (you'll need five sets to get twenty nuts that match) and they hold up well. I've not seen a "capped" SuperNut - so that's a non-issue (but check anyhow.)

You'll want them threaded 1/2"-20 (that seems to be universal for XJ/MJ - but take one in with you if you'd like to be sure,) and get them with a base that matches the seat in your wheel. Most alloy wheels use an "acorn" or "tapered" seat - you'll find either that or "mag shank" nuts - and getting the wrong nut base on the wrong wheel seat is gagging for trouble (if you need "mag shank" nuts, you probably already know. The "tapered" seat is typically used on alloy AND steel wheels, and is also fairly universal.)

5-90

Autozone has the solid lug nuts. They sell for $1 to $1.50 a piece. HTH. JIM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, don't different alluminum wheels take a differnt taper on the lugnut?

If so, wouldn't this have an affect on the lugnuts staying tight?

Kejtar said:
Did you retighten the lugnuts after driving a bit? THeoretically you're supposed to do that so many miles after install (100? or something like that). Also how tight did you get them before? IIRC the spec is 80ft lbs through 100 or something like that (I torque mine to 85 ft lbs when I have a torque wrench handy). Also was the rim seated right?

You know I did that one time just for S&G. I found many lose, and two missing ones not to long after. I have since gone back to as tight as I dare without fear of breaking off the studd.

i also run the canyon wheels, i touqe them to 80, and they stay on fine and don't loosen

robz95xj said:
i also run the canyon wheels, i touqe them to 80, and they stay on fine and don't loosen

Using your stock lug nuts?

To my knowledge, the Canyons have the same hub depth as other Jeep alloys, and the taper on all of them is 60 degrees (standard).

Maybe the mechanic doing the changing forgot to tighten that particular wheel? It's happened before..... :)

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
To my knowledge, the Canyons have the same hub depth as other Jeep alloys, and the taper on all of them is 60 degrees (standard).

Maybe the mechanic doing the changing forgot to tighten that particular wheel? It's happened before..... :)

Just got back from the shop and the mechanic is now blaming me becuase he thinks that the Canyons will not fit (or not a good fit) becuase they are too "thick", which leaves the lug nuts not abling to grasp tight on to the studs...

Ghetto2315 said:
Just got back from the shop and the mechanic is now blaming me becuase he thinks that the Canyons will not fit (or not a good fit) becuase they are too "thick", which leaves the lug nuts not abling to grasp tight on to the studs...
?? :confused: time to change the mechanic

Johnny V said:
I'm just wondering if someone deliberately loosened the nuts as there have been a rash of pranks like this recently in NJ!

I havent ruled that out...

Hmmm maybe I'll go dust for fingerprints

Where on the shore are you located??

Brilliant... Good to know a local XJer

Maybe we could meet up sometime and talk about Jeeps and crap at my father's restaurant, Barnacle Bills

Back