• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear drum brakes sticking (help)

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I just swaped in a 88 xj D35 into my 92 xj. I bled the brakes and did all the normal stuff. When i stop at a light and start again there is a bang from the rear drums . It seems like the drum brakes are sticking and releasing after i give it gas. Also if i hit my brakes hard my rear brakes lock up way before my front brakes do. It seems like i am pulling the rear tires along the pavment.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem after replacing the shoes. Try adjusting the shoes again, if you haven't already. If that don't help, maybe the wheel cylinders are sticky, they are 18 years old if they have never been changed. Usually the drums will lock up before discs, at least they do on all my older cars & trucks.

I checked the wheel cylinders before i swaped in the axle and they were dry. I havent tried adjusting the shoes yet but how do i know how much? And how do i adjust them?

On the bottom, there is a threaded adjuster, turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to push the shoes, well, in or out. If the drum slides on there and you can turn it freely, with a little drag, your getting close. If the drum is tight going on, don't put it on, adjust the shoes in. If the wheel cylinders were dry, do you mean no fluid in them? They could have drawn moisture and rusted internally.

You may have to play around with the adjustment untill you get it right.

This diagram is similar to the D35.
drum_brakes.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I changed my shoes also. Took some playing around with the threaded adjuster that XJJeepLess talks about. Those systems are self adjusting so you can set it up so the drums slide on nice and easy. Than I heard the best why to adjust them is to go in reverse(15mph) and slam on the brakes. This seemed to take care of my problem. Hope it helps.

Adam

Turn the star wheel adjuster using a screwdriver until the wheel just drags, then back it off a few clicks in the opposite direction by taking tension off the lever so the wheel turns freely. Book says to make sure the automatic adjustment is set by backing up and applying brakes 10-15 times before manually adjusting.

I'd pull out the star adjuster and make sure it isn't bad. Last one I worked on had one completely siezed. Replaced it from my scrap pile. I cleaned them up, using a little penetrating oil and a wire brush on the threads, and a dab of lithium grease inside the end cap and sprayed them clean with some brake cleaner. I suppose "brake grease" may have been a better choice but I was careful not to use too much so I didn't contaminate the pads.

Back