• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar has hole but it’s not threaded for grease fitting.

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
I just received a track bar for my '89 Laredo.

There is a hole for a grease fitting but it’s not threaded. Is this correct or am I missing something?

John V.

Most grease zerk holes arent tapped, if you look at the zerk threads they are really kind of cone shaped to tap thier own threads just put it in and go.....

majic_tech said:
Most grease zerk holes arent tapped, if you look at the zerk threads they are really kind of cone shaped to tap thier own threads just put it in and go.....

This is absolutely correct. DO NOT TAP THREADS!! The metal that falls inside the hole, will shorten the life of the joint!! Zerk fittings are pipe threads and so are tapered. Just start it in the hole slowly and squarely with a bit of downward pressure and you'll be fine!!

CW

You're talking about the long tie rod for the steering linkage, right?. I installed a new one about a week ago and the hole wasn't threaded, either. Screw it in and you'll be fine.

Back