• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finishing up...getting ready to install new wheel hubs...a couple three questions.

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
The axles are out and new U-joints are installed, so I’m about ready to install it all with new wheel hubs on both sides of my ‘89 Laredo.

First thanks for all the great info on this forum it really helped this project.

First question: I noticed when I pulled the passenger side axle – no vac disco - it looked a little “wet” to about 12 inches from the tip of the axle (where it goes into the differential). It has not leaked out on the street but my guess is the seal is going and I need to replace it?

Second question: When I install the spindle through the hub there is a flange that seals up the back of the hub do I pack with grease or install dry? If greased can I use synthetic - as I just purchased a tube?

Third question: The Napa U-joints have grease fittings. Can I use synthetic grease...would mixing synthetic grease and “real” grease create a problem?

That’s all the questions. Just wanted to add that I’m replacing both hubs but only one was shot! It’s amazing that one hub seems fine after 17 years and 193,000 miles...that’s says lot about our Jeeps. Also the original U-joints were fine but I figured the axles are out so I might as well replace the buggers.

Thanks,

John

Re: Finishing up...getting ready to install new wheel hubs...a couple three questions.

sounds like some smart preventive maintenance Johnny.

#1, yes it sounds like the inner seal on your shaft is wearing. might be another good idea to replace it if you want to take the time to remove the diff carrier.

#2, i usually grease that area as well.

#3, i am a big fan of synthetics, just make sure you use the proper grease for the part. most synthetics are compatable with petroleum but i'd read the MFG specs to make sure. if you didnt assemble the joints into the shaft i'd pull them apart and clean them. the lube in them is mainly for assembly purposes and i like to clean it out and pack them properly before i install them.

i agree on the quality of some OEM parts. there are certain things i dont take from aftermarket. R&P gear sets are an example, although i dont gt them from a dealer i will only use Dnan-spicer gears.

Re: Finishing up...getting ready to install new wheel hubs...a couple three questions.

Thanks Mike!

#1 Did a search on DANA 30 Seals and it looks like I’m going to make some kind of shaft tool to pull and insert the seals? I’m having trouble wrapping my head around this one. Went to the Madxj link - http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/D30shafts297andSeals.htm - and still not sure what’s being done.

Is this correct? With the differential out I need to use a “shaft puller tool” to remove the old seal by moving it towards the differential housing. Then to install the new seal I need to use the same tool but pulling it out from center of differential?

#2 Great I’ll grease those babies!

#3 I’ll read the label. If worse comes to worse I’ll use the petroleum stuff and not synthetic. The U-joints are installed and I thought about repacking them...but got lazy.

Many thanks,

John

You do not need to pack the flange, but you would do well to grease it a little, and also make sure you daub plenty of anti-seize on the mating surface between hub and knuckle.

I would seriously consider not doing the axle seals unless you have some reason to believe that you're losing fluid. Some weeping over time will be normal, and it's no surprise if it's a little wet after nearly 200 thousand miles. It's a pretty major job, requiring removal of the diff. carrier. If your fluid level is good, I'd say don't disturb it unless doing the job is something you're used to, or that kind of thing is your hobby.

Do, however, make sure the axle shaft is clean before you put it back, maybe put a little grease on the sealing surface, and make sure that it doesn't pick up any dirt or grit from the end of the axle tube as you insert it.

#1 Did a search on DANA 30 Seals and it looks like I’m going to make some kind of shaft tool to pull and insert the seals? I’m having trouble wrapping my head around this one. Went to the Madxj link - http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technica...297andSeals.htm - and still not sure what’s being done

i just went and bought me 5 long half inch thick extensions. that was long enough to reach through. i happened to have a socket that was the same size as the seal. so i used the socket and extensions to punch the seals out and then tap the new ones in. worked really really easy.

Matthew Currie said:
I would seriously consider not doing the axle seals unless you have some reason to believe that you're losing fluid. Some weeping over time will be normal, and it's no surprise if it's a little wet after nearly 200 thousand miles. It's a pretty major job, requiring removal of the diff. carrier. If your fluid level is good, I'd say don't disturb it unless doing the job is something you're used to, or that kind of thing is your hobby.

Do, however, make sure the axle shaft is clean before you put it back, maybe put a little grease on the sealing surface, and make sure that it doesn't pick up any dirt or grit from the end of the axle tube as you insert it.

Thanks Matthew and scorpio_vette!

I think I'm going to pass on replacing the seals as it looks like an all day job and I don't have time for it, plus the level has been fine. Yes it's more like weeping than leaking.

Geez keeping the tip of the axle shaft clean while it goes in is going to be a major trick!

John

Geez keeping the tip of the axle shaft clean while it goes in is going to be a major trick

when your getting ready to put the axle shaft back in, take one hand and place it between the knuckle and the beginning of the axle tube entrance. make a fist with your thumb up and place the axle shaft on top/between your thumb and index finger. it'll take a couple attempts, but once you get good at it, then you can use your fist to control the height and keep the axle shaft centered in the tube and with the other hand you push the shaft through and lever it up and down to keep the shaft straight.

Back