• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax no-slip problems!

Rem870XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a used axle and I can't get the c-clip out of the bastard. The slot made for the clip isn't big enough to get a magnet into and pieces of wire, screwdrivers, etc won't fish it out. I have flipped the axle upside down and it still won't come out. The axle will move in and out nad the clip moves around all over the place. I can't see how the installer could have got the clip in the slot of the locker. It just seem like the clip is too big. I have to install a new spring kit and my zj brakes then get the axle painted. To top it all off tonight the damn locker is missing three of the four pins that hold the two middle pieces that the cross pin goes through together. I don't even know if the broken pins can be extracted and replaced. Nothing has been easy on this xj I swear. ANy help will be apprecaited. I am going to get some pics tommorrow. I am at a complete stop now. I am going to a midwest chapter run in march and things aren't looking good.

well i have a bolt in axle, but since no others have chimed in yet. have you tried something like an o-ring pick? some have pretty good bends in them and are handy for tight spots. also i seem to remember some guys talkin about pushing the axle shaft all the way toward the center of the diff to get at the c-clip? not sure if that's correct(like i said i'm used to removin my bolt in shafts. i know someone else will know more than i about this, just be patient.

Rem870XJ said:
The slot made for the clip isn't big enough to get a magnet into and pieces of wire, screwdrivers, etc won't fish it out. I
Get a different sized magnet? some sort of commercial/industrial tweezer type deal?

The best way I have found to remove the c-clip is to rotate the locker so that the slot faces down, then push and pull the axle in and out of the housing. It won't move much, but in my experience it's fallen out in just a few tries.

-Jim C

Rem870XJ said:
To top it all off tonight the damn locker is missing three of the four pins that hold the two middle pieces that the cross pin goes through together.

If that is the case, you are kinda screwed, those pins (if you mean the pins and not the springs) are part of the locker, and you are going to have to replace those parts (which are probably 1/3 the cost of the locker IIRC).

As for the c-clip, what was said before, rotate so slot faces down, push/pull axle shaft until it falls out....try some WD-40 or PB Blaster to lube it up so it will slide out faster if there is any grime in there stopping it.

When you try to put it all together, make sure you have the directions and follow them closely, from personal experience I can say you should definately not hammer the center pin back in, if it doesnt go in smoothly, you have assembled the locker incorrectly.

Search here, there are several recent threads about commom no-slip issues....I myself spent about 1.5 weeks trying to install mine and waiting for replacement parts that I broke, and the thing still is sitting in a box in my basement and I have an open diff...

Took me an hour to get my c-clip out of my Powertrax no-slip.

Back