• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does this part get bent? Picture

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ RE6300 5.5" LA kit of course with sway bar disconnects.

Was out wheeling the other night with the sways DISCONNECTED. Went through some water, shorted out the TPS, jeep went into the mechanic.

I noticed today that the stud where the swaybar connects is bent.

Here's a pic:

bentswaybarlink.JPG

Nothing else in the area appears to be damaged

This has happened 2 times on my 2000 XJ. I have no idea what caused it, but I bent it back both times.

I will be relocating the sway bar connection on the axle I am building.

rpraterxj said:
This has happened 2 times on my 2000 XJ. I have no idea what caused it, but I bent it back both times.

I will be relocating the sway bar connection on the axle I am building.

Were your sways connected when it bent? How did you fix it?

It's possable that it contacted something in a suspension compression. I can't think of what would be hanging down there though except for the swaybar itself.

haha thats crazy, Im actually fixing that tonight when I get outa class. It's usually because where the tie rod meets the drag link It is prematurely stopped when you turn right because the sway bar mount is in the way. You pry had your wheel really hard right on a rocky or bumpy situation or something and It got bent out. Tonight I am going to heat that mount up really hot then bend It straight up so when Im fully locked right I wont be stopped by the mount.

If you've never noticed til now It must not be that bad, I have 6.5-7" in front and I can only turn 1/4 way right before I hit It.....ORGS and Tera make a piece that you cut off the old mount and reweld on a higher mount for the clearance....another benefit is you can run histeer

plus correct me If Im wrong but I think your pin is suppose to be facing in towards the vehicle not out....atleast thats what my directions said for the JKS quickers

XJ99 said:
haha thats crazy, Im actually fixing that tonight when I get outa class. It's usually because where the tie rod meets the drag link It is prematurely stopped when you turn right because the sway bar mount is in the way. You pry had your wheel really hard right on a rocky or bumpy situation or something and It got bent out. Tonight I am going to heat that mount up really hot then bend It straight up so when Im fully locked right I wont be stopped by the mount.

If you've never noticed til now It must not be that bad, I have 6.5-7" in front and I can only turn 1/4 way right before I hit It.....ORGS and Tera make a piece that you cut off the old mount and reweld on a higher mount for the clearance....another benefit is you can run histeer

Jeep went from wheeling straight to the mechanic, so I wasnt driving it much to notice anything (mainly concerned with the jeep not dying on the way there)

While the jeep was in the mechanic I also had them put a new steering box in. There is something obviously wrong with the steering, and I just attributed it to an improperly adjusted steering box. But it could be this link hitting something?

i bet the draglink is hitting it.

90Pioneer said:
Were your sways connected when it bent? How did you fix it?

The first time, I used an adj. wrench, some muscle, and a BFH. This last time, we did it ghetto style and found a large rock, wedged it between the wheel and the braket, slowly turned the wheel. Since the steering bent it, we figured the steering could fix it! Not my idea, but it worked!

High steer or relocating are good opitions.

The first time I bent it, I was at 3" lift with 31's. This last time, I am now at 5" with 33's.

I was on difficult rated trails in Big Bear, CA - nice rock gardens and other challenging areas. Lots of steering wheel action.

you can by the weld on pieces or you can heat It up and bend It up with a pry bar, you Just want the piece to stay straight when you bend It

but Its definatley the back end boot on your tie rod thats hitting the mount, when your drag links shifts over when you turn the wheel right, your tie rod travels with that Into the mount...

XJ99 said:
plus correct me If Im wrong but I think your pin is suppose to be facing in towards the vehicle not out....atleast thats what my directions said for the JKS quickers
x 2 it may have been bent before ya disco'd or may have hit somethign being that is on the outside like that.

90Pioneer said:
I noticed today that the stud where the swaybar connects is bent.

Mine has bent there once, the drag link hits it if i turn right while flexing out.

Sway bar pins are mounted wrong. Your tire could have caught it and pulled it down. Or some part of the steering like said above. Ive seen those sway bar mounts bend without much force before. Those are RE Gen 2 discos right? I made the same mistake...mine tore off 3 wheel weights somehow. I recently installed an already geared and modified D30 that had the mounts cut off... I bought a pair from RE and welded them on. They seem alittle more stout than the stockers...

Justin

Its the passenger side TRE itself.

I had this problem too. It was suggested that I get a drop pitman arm to fix the problem. I even tried a new draglink thinking my old one was bent, no help from that. The bottom of the JKS link would rub the drag link and sometimes when it disco'ed it put a dent in my steering stabilizer.

I have not tried the pitman arm to see if that would fix it.

My fix was to cut the bracket off (not recommended) and run without sway bars. But I only drive mine about 10 miles a week. When I do a trip on the highway I drive very defensive and I have not really noticed a difference at all. Then of course I know I am not driving a Honda.

Visit www.pa-wheeling.com for those who enjoy the trails of Pa.

for what it's worth, I have a drop pitman arm on mine and that braket still bent.

The pitman arm wont do a thing for ya.

heres your option best to worst

#1. buy a new steering set-up
#2. cut the brackets off and weld on the orgs or tera high clearance brackets
#3. heat the bracket up and bend It straight up and AdJust your discos.
#4. cut It off like the last guy said and run no sway bars, not all that bad If you have a low center of gravity but I wouldnt do It If your tall and top heavy...

Back